Central London needs a hire and consumables store

torch1972

A production has just finished a get in at the theatre, they run out of PVC and gaffa tape, stage paint. They also needed some gobos, a long CAT5 cable, and some grelcos. There was a discussion about if you run out off these sort of things in central London the nearest place is Stage Electrics or a little further Flints, the incoming crew wished there was a store in central London. We thought it would that a store like this would always be busy. I sure years ago there was a store on on Shaftesbury Avenue.

What are other people thoughts?

Putting my video production hat on for a moment, I believe there are one or two stores that provide tapes (although perhaps less so now) and other consumables one might need urgently, complete with rapid courier service within central London. I assume based in Soho. You pay a premium of course but when you really need just one more tape, I guess cost doesn't come in to it as much as usual.

All things pro video do come with a high price anyway, so a central London service must be financially viable. Whether selling low value items like (sticky) tape, gels etc with a sufficiently high mark-up would be as viable is a question for someone with more business acumen than me.

They actually made equipment there in the past - but how many rolls of tape do you have to sell to pay the wages, rent, business rates and insurance? Even a tiny 7 ft wide by 20 ft long lock up shop in my own town is three grand a year rent plus a couple of grand for rates. I did a quick Google for central london similar premises and your jaw drops. Maybe high price ticket type shops can do it, but there's no Screwfix either, and I'd expect their client range to be greater than our type of store. Let's also assume that if Flints thought it was needed, they'd have already looked into it - and they don't seem to have thought it worthwhile.

Oddly, the music shops in the Tottenham Court Rd/Shaftesbury Av area all seem to sell similar stuff and manage to make a living - but maybe you don't need to sell a £5000 guitar every day?

In the streets around the back of Shaftsbury Avenue there's an array of trade counters (and retail stores) for electrical, hardwear and decorating. I've never had a problem getting bits and pieces (I conceed grelco's would be a problem) at the last min within 5 mins walk of theatre district. Otherwise a quick phonecall to flints and a runner (or taxi) and they'll have anything you need to you within the hour.

You can get to flints and back from central london within a couple of hours easily. And to be honest I alwys keep a cupboard full of tape stocked up in my venue. Who doesn't?

I sure years ago there was a store on on Shaftesbury Avenue.

You are correct (well close). There is a shop on Drury Lane. Fantastic old fashioned theatrical supplies shop with a range of different coloured gaffa tapes that most of us could only dream of. Had to go and look up the name, Russel & Chapple and Brodie & Middleton, 68 Drury Lane.

Not so useful for gobos and electrical gizmos but perfect for set stuff.

Cheers,

Peter

TSL ( theatre sound and light) used to be on drury lane I think, but they got bought out by white light I think and disappeared.

Stage electrics near tower bridge are only a 10 min trip on my bike, or I would guess 15 mins in a cab from most of the west end.

So I've used Flints and Stage LX a lot, but for consumables, hardware and tools I have used all of the following.

The music shops around Denmark St/Tottenham Court Road are usually pretty good, though a little pricey. I once got a 10m XLR 12way Multi made up whilst I waited when someone decided to lose ours.

There are also a fair few little places in and around Soho that stock tape and even gel. But I can't remember the names.

For something like a grelco or gobo you can get it sent in a taxi or on a bike and it can be with you well inside an hour. There are a number of hire companies besides Stage LX with places in and around the centre of London.

stage consumables supplirs much like any trade wholesaler end up in cheap rental industrial units for the simple reason that storing the stock is expensive, and if the customer cant get everything they need they go somewhere that carries the stock. Also consumables are all low price items, you would have to sell a lot of grelcos and 15a plugs to pay the rent, and its more likely that the customer just wants a single roll of gaffa as they will buy 3 boxes online tommorow then moans that its a quid more a roll. In my city we are the only company who is still based city centre and as such are effectivly crammed into a shoebox, everyone else has moved out of town where its cheap.

its more likely that the customer just wants a single roll of gaffa as they will buy 3 boxes online tommorow then moans that its a quid more a roll.

This is the very essence of the problem, isn't it?

Perhaps the solution would be for some of the bigger firms on the outskirts of the city centre to offer a rush delivery service - via taxi or whatever - and publicise this to central London venues? Of course, then people would moan about the delivery costs...

Central London may want a consumables store open all hours, but in reality 1/it isn't prepared to pay for it and 2/ there are so many little shops if you know where to look that there really isn't business for another, 3/ Central London is a very expensive place to find that the production planning wasn't right, -you should buy enough materials before you start in town because of the cost issue, and in the case of paint the batch colour variation risk.

Ryness was sometimes useful for me, and a fair size electrical shop in Brewer Street, Soho. Either or both could still be there or not.

Look aside from "Theatre" shops as well! Photographic supplies shops will have Gaffer and other tapes, and maybe some gel

• 2 weeks later...

As previously mentioned, we have a London branch not far from tower bridge offering a full range of consumables and hire kit. We can easily courier bits and bobs throughout London on short notice if required.

If we can be of any assistance dont hesitate to get in contact.

Kind Regards,

Adam

Stage Electrics Partnership LTD

adam.finlayson@stage-electrics.co.uk

Archived