Mac to VGA adapters

Albatross

Hi Guys,

We use PC to VGA projection occasionally in our Venue.

Late last year we had a Mac arrive but had no adapter so made the client go buy their own, with the opinion that they'd likely need it elsewhere.

Having looked around recently when we had some spare budget to get other adapters I looked at buying Mac to VGA adapters to have on hand.

Then the fun starts... mini dvi, dvi, iPad... seems like there are 4 different ones depending on the model of device.

Is this the case, and does anyone actually stock their own adapters for Apple products?

Has anyone seen iPads in use for presentation yet?

I gave in this year and went and bought all 5 types: Invariably, if you try and predict which ones are "most common" some bugger turns up with the one you haven't got. I even have the one that is only for the first Gen Macbook Air.

So:

DVI - VGA

Mini DVI - VGA

Micro DVI - VGA

Mini VGA - VGA

Mini Displayport - VGA

It'll cost you about 100 pounds for the lot, and then you can rest easy. Just don't let anyone steal them!

I have seen iPads used for presentation, but only via an Apple TV.

I have seen iPads used for presentation, but only via an Apple TV.

iPad 2s (& iPhone 4Ss) can definitely be connected up to a VGA display in the same way as laptops, using the following adapter:

http://store.apple.c...oduct/MC552ZM/B

It is required fairly regularly at my work.

all good in theory ---- but the new Mac minis now do not have the analogue outputs....only digital.

Anybody want a MDP to VGA cable

Your MDP to VGA adaptor will work in the Thunderbolt port of the Mac Mini in the same way as before, as Thunderbolt is backwards compatible with Apple MiniDisplayPort :)

Most places I've needed to take my mac for running projection etc have had either VGA or DVI connections for the projector, that's what I'd expect to find and so carry an adapter of my own (very clearly marked as to who it belongs to! - these things are relatively expensive for what they are and they do go walkabout far too often)

Personally I'd probably suggest it is the client's responsibility to have one - particularly if they know in advance "we require a VGA connection" or something similar..

Hi Albatross

You may like to get one of these the unit is brilliant I bought one for my Academy because a lot of students have new laptops with out a VGA output and the results are excellent

LINK

HTH

http://img.misco.eu/resources/images/products/106/SRH/US/USB2VGAPRO//USB2VGAPRO_500x500.jpg

I've even run video off my iPhone for meetings (typically the CMO emails me the latest & greatest TVC from his Blackberry just before going on to present)...

iPads are very common now, and if the rumors of MS Office for iPad are true, then use of these for presentations will explode. What is really needed is a rock-solid wireless solution.

I carry my own stock of Mac I/O adaptors, and ALL have my name scrawled on them in BIG BLACK LETTERS. They tend to disappear otherwise.

all good in theory ---- but the new Mac minis now do not have the analogue outputs....only digital.

(mini) DisplayPort has ALWAYS been digital only. The MDP to VGA adaptors have active D/A converters in and they work with any MiniDisplayPort including the latest MacMinis.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/261505_10150243254779873_651339872_7238835_8071399_n.jpg

Is the inside of a MDP->VGA converter. It is worth noting that as these are active adaptors they can break quite easily. If you have a mac mini which won't output via VGA then the chances are you have a duff converter.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the great replies!

I'll take it back to the rest of my department and we'll probably decide to procrastinate. :P

...until it becomes an issue again.

Cheers,

Ric

Archived