Returns multicore

Biskit

Hopefully a quick one:

In one of our venues I want to install a dedicated multicore to carry FOH PA L&R plus a seperate mono feed for dressing room relay, from FOH mix position to our amp room backstage. Cable run appox 50 metres. I'm looking for the most cost effective and also discrete solution. Cable will be surface fixed for its entire length, and terminated at a panel both ends so I wondered if I'd get away with using solid-core CAT5/6 STP cable? That would give four seperate pairs - the three I need plus one spare - with the ground connection shared. Electrically I can't see a problem with this, but has anyone done it in practice with balanced analogue audio?

Dedicated audio multipair is a lot bulkier, ie. 10mm outer diameter upwards for 4-pair, unless someone knows of a better product?

Thanks guys!

I'd run more than one cat5, running three will give you 12 possible lines, which will give the the flexibility for anything you see required. such as coms at one point, or anything. also considering having actual cat5 lines as they can always be used for something.

Wouldn't recommend running comms over CAT5 cable unless you at least double the power wire up. It's quite thin wire, and when using lots of beltpacks/ a longer distance / lots of call lights on at once, you may find voltage drop an issue.

David

Archived