MiniMAC Maestro Error

f2012

Hi,

Just to start off - I'm very much a newbie as my background is broadcast and film technology so am fairly inexperienced.

I purchased my first (second hand) MiniMAC and it arrived today. It was sold by the way, as coming with a new lamp and fully functioning.

I've never owned one of these lights before so waited for the startup sequence to complete upon plugging in. An error reading 'PAE' flashes (which is apparently a pan error I read). The menu is accessible, but little happens. I've also seen no light output from the unit. It also seems fairly noisy.

Can anyone help? I can supply videos and photos if required. Unfortunately I don't have any kind of controller yet, but thought I could at least get this thing doing some auto-movements.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2mwgi05.jpg

EDIT:

I've Just re-fired it up and received the TIE error as well as a loud juddering noise

http://i42.tinypic.com/6gejcx.jpg

Ok, well firstly, the best thing you can do is throw it out and never bother with these things again, 'The Devils spawn', I call them.

On a more constructive note, if your getting the P and T error, then its worth opening it up and checking the looms. You couldnt be so unlucky to have both lots of sensors go (well....it is a mini-mac....), so its more likely a connection issue.

Thanks for your help.

It appears that many of the gobos fell out too and the unit is in a poor condition. The bulb also doesn't seem to work, and produces a tiny glint of light.

I will give it a proper strip down and see if there's anymore I can do. If not, I guess this'll be sold on as faulty. Shame the seller forgot to mention that when he stated it was fully working with a brand new bulb!

Hmmmm, if this was a flea bay buy - then you know what to do!!. Personally also, for the price you paid for a 2nd hand mini-mac, you would have been better off probably going to the Thonman site and buying some chinese rubbish that probably would have faired better and at least you may have had more than One.

Why did you only buy one anyway? - and why a mini-mac of all things ? ?

Thanks for your help.

It appears that many of the gobos fell out too and the unit is in a poor condition. The bulb also doesn't seem to work, and produces a tiny glint of light.

I will give it a proper strip down and see if there's anymore I can do. If not, I guess this'll be sold on as faulty. Shame the seller forgot to mention that when he stated it was fully working with a brand new bulb!

I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon questioning why you bought a MiniMAC, they have their place and when they work they can be quite good, but a Maestro, My God what were you thinking? I used to own an Austin Maestro, clue's in the name. Anyway....

All might not be lost. The two errors that you have are the two least likely to be caused by wiring faults as these looms are not under as much stress as the loom that goes all the way to the head. First of all, let's give the seller the benefit of the doubt and it worked when it was sent to you. The tilt belt mechanism on these can best be described as sh!t and are prone to falling off. The head always droops slightly which doesn't help matters. Take all the covers of and check for this first. While you have the covers off check the alignment of the pan micro switch spring. Unlike all other MACS (with the exception of the MAC III) which have a brass/copper spring stopping the pan from crashing into the switch, the MiniMAC has a wire spring that looks like a bent paper clip. These are prone to getting jammed if packaged poorly. Obyiously it still could be wires or stepper drivers, but hopefully it is something simple. It's possible, but I would be amazed if it was the motors that are faulty.

As for the lamp not working, first of all try a known working good lamp, then.... DO NOT ATTEMPT ANY OF THE FOLLOWING IF YOU ARE UNSURE OR INEXPERIENCED. VERY HIGH VOLTAGES INVOLVED. Measure the input to the starter, you should be getting 240V A/C (mains) to the OUTSIDE TERMINALS. The middle terminal will output up to 5000 Volts, DO NOT MEASURE THIS. If you have the correct input to the starter, power off the fixture and check the wiring to the lamp socket. If this is ok the starter is faulty. If you are not getting 240V to the starter, power off and check the continuity of the wiring to the base.

I'd agree with most of the other comments about these fixtures but have one thing to add regarding the lamp. Many fixtures with magnetic ballasts will give a brief flash as the microprocessor starts up. MAC 500s almost always do it. This is because the relay closes momentarily while the microprocessor is sorting out its ports. If you've haven't got the unit set to lamp on automatically (PEr - ALO) then it won't strike the lamp until you've sent it a Lamp On command.

Apologies if this is a Grandmother/Eggs/Suck suggestion :)

Dave

I'd agree with most of the other comments about these fixtures but have one thing to add regarding the lamp. Many fixtures with magnetic ballasts will give a brief flash as the microprocessor starts up. MAC 500s almost always do it. This is because the relay closes momentarily while the microprocessor is sorting out its ports. If you've haven't got the unit set to lamp on automatically (PEr - ALO) then it won't strike the lamp until you've sent it a Lamp On command.

Apologies if this is a Grandmother/Eggs/Suck suggestion :)

Dave

Thanks. I had a look through the menu and the PEr ALO setting is set to on.

Archived