Pinocchio nose

Ashleychubz

bit of an odd one really guys

im about to do a production of pinocchio and we are looking to make an electrics nose for pinocchio.

My idea that I would like to do is a motorised car aerial with a resistor dimmer switch to control the length.

im trying to get the same result as the pinocchio nose in 'Shrek The Musical' and have seen this video on youtube:

watch from 3 mins 20 sec in

I have looked all over the internet to try and find better ways or how other people have done them before.

if anyone has any idea or could help me out in any way I would be very grateful http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

thanks

This is one of those jobs I've fancied having a crack at for years now! In truth though, it's far more complicated than you'd think! Personally I don't think you'll fit much of the mechanism in the nose itself. I'd go for a remotely pulled wire somewhere else on the costume.

Have you seen the innards of a car aerial? They're huge! They're also going to need a decent size battery pack, and a resistor dimmer isn't going to give you the position control you're after, it'll give you speed control of it extending/contracting.

By all means take some ideas from one, but I don't think it's the solution you're after.

One method of moving simple things in a line that I've used a few times is the humble syringe. You can build a pretty simple hydraulics or pneumatics system simply by connecting two syringes together with a length of pipe. Move one syringe in and out, and its' friend will do the opposite.

I'd be thinking one syringe in the base of the nose pushing it in and out, with a clever wire system so that as you push the first section out, it in turn pulls the second section, and so on.... Then just have a flexible pipe down to the second syringe in the actors pocket. And Robert is your father's brother....

Ashley, I'm not a freelance special effects designer and if I was you'd need to wave the cash...

Go experiment and see what you can create. Come back and tell us what you're doing and what problems you are having and we'll do our best to help.

'design this for me' questions don't go down too well here.

• 1 year later...

We staged Pinocchio back in January and had a mechanical growing nose custom made. if anyone is interested the nose is now available to hire from us. visit www.thewestenders.co.uk to contact us for further info

here is a video of the nose in action:

Archived