Architectural LX - Gelling Floods

numberwrong

I've been asked to sort out the architectural lighting for a festival this year, I was wondering if there is a way of gelling 250/500w halogen floods? I was thinking some sort of gel frame designed for them to keep the gel off the glass and prevent light spill.

Is there a similar system for MBIs? It might be possible to gaffa gel on to an MBI as the body temperature will just be tolerable although not sure about them keeping the gel in rain. It would be good if there was a prober system.

I want to use gel to get a wider range of colour from the standard MBI coloured lamps. Halogen floods are light weight and will be useful in some applications.

any other suggestions for outdoor colour would be appreciated. I am aware of IP rated PARs but they are big, heavy and (on my quote) expensive.

Thanks.

We had the same problem a few years ago, we manufactured some Timber ones which are attached by friction fit and cable ties to secure them on. We then just staple the gel to the face. The Health and Safety guys have inspected them and are happy with the means of attachment and there is enough distance betweeen the glass and the gel.

I should point out that we use these mainly on our own MBI's the Sun Flood version seem to run a little hotter and there is some burn out on the gel.

Steve

I've just tried some lee 19 (red) taped on to a 500w flood with exhaust tape. It sits about 10mm from the glass but it's too hot for the gel.

I would be reluctant to use wood frames, Is there no fire risk?. How hot can high temp gel get? I can't find that stat on the lee website.

If you are using cheap 'disposavke' floods consider experimenting with painting the glass. I've been told metallic paint has the best heat resistance, though I've never tried.

Lee will sell dichroic glass filters, it might be worth getting a quote.

OP wants different colours from standard coloured lamps.....

Why not try a mixture of you MBI 400w floods with the wood frame and instead of 500w sun floods use HQI 150w then you could use filter on them without a problem....

Or as it's sounding more complicated as this post is going on...just hire a load of LED.... might be quicker!!

With regards the heat with the wooden frames, we have done this for the past 6 years and are still using the same frames with no signs of scorching on the timber at this time. They are used on a festival where they are on for 4 x days both floor and rigged in the air.

Steve

Hehe! The frames I made must be almost the same age as yours stevo!

MBI HQI I still think might be the way to go however, Standard Gel works to 180c and HT works to 220c to answer the question below..

I would be reluctant to use wood frames, Is there no fire risk?. How hot can high temp gel get? I can't find that stat on the lee website.

Thanks for your replies.

Would it be posable to see a picture of these frames? I can't really visualise them. Just to confirm I am planning to rigg halogen sun floods and MBIs above the public so I would be concerned of the frames falling. Obviously this could be over come with a safety but still not ideal, also it's a ball ache to have to get up to re attach the frame if it does fall.

Cheers

I'll see if I can get a pic.

But its really just 2x1" batten that you cut and fit around the unit so the top and bottom pieces are on top of the two side ones making a square.

They are fairly tight fitting but you would have to wire/safety them off if over the heads of the public.

I'll see if I can get a pic.

But its really just 2x1" batten that you cut and fit around the unit so the top and bottom pieces are on top of the two side ones making a square.

They are fairly tight fitting but you would have to wire/safety them off if over the heads of the public.

Don't worry about getting a pic if its a pain I think I can see what you mean from your description - I've just had a brain wave about making something from wood that slots round a halogen and accepts a gel frame. Will post it when I've made it.

Thanks

Archived