old unidyne and unisphere mics

S&L

I was out working with a band last weekend. One of my usual outfits but we were having a switch around for various reasons. I asked if anyone had a spare SM57 to bring along for the weekend to mic up a guitar combo. the guitarist (an old hand) said he would bring along his mic box and knowing I had some mics that would do if his didn't I left it at that. On the night he pulled out a shure unidyne, also showing me a unishere too. now I had a couple of these things 'back in the day' and don't remember them being particularly exciting, or indeed any good (I still have some somewhere if I can find them).

So I was a little sceptical but we mic'ed the combo (an AC30 reproduction) and it sounded great. a really solid full sound. the thing was that old it came with a cable end rather than an XLR socket - mine (if I can find them) are silver bodied like his but I honestly cant remember whether they have a cable attached or not (I remember my unispheres had an XLR socket - one was brown bodied the other silver)

anyway, my point is, this old battered mic sounded great. I was worried about quality (I needn't have been) and reliability but the thing sounded perfect, no crackle - not crisp but very full bodied.

So I am wondering:

1. do any of the old hand remember them or still use them?

2. does anyone remember them being particularly effective?

3. should I be thinking about digging out my old mics and using them instead of sub £80 mics?

For electric guitar amps, the last thing you need is quality. If you're bored one day stick a good condensor in front and PFL it on cans.

I (still!) have a Unidyne, and while I was in a band (1980s) it was my preferred mic for my amp. I modded my Unidyne, dragged out he transformer and the original plug, and it has a straaght connection now to the mic capsule.

These days thge old girl gets used as shout to stage :)

I wish I'd kept my 545 and 565 (SM57 & SM58 lookalikes).

XLR versions were quite rare, introduced quite late as an option. In the seventies, if you went to the local music store, you could buy a WEM guitar amplifier - 40 or 100W, or an identical looking PA amp. Standard Hi-z jack sockets, and as a result, Hi-z mics were needed. I hated the Shure 515, a cardioid with permanently connected cable - although I saw one last year being used to call bingo - not bad for a forty year old mic! The 545 and 565 had the option of Hi-z or new fangled medium impedance balanced - note not called LOW impedance, because at that time professional PA systems often used 25-50 Ohm mics.

Then the brought out the CN suffix - fitted with Cannon 3 pin connectors,as Shure are American. I think the chrome grills on the 565s looked much nicer than the matt finish ones we have nowadays, and at that time, people wanted nice bright shiny microphones.

The screw on connectors (Amphenol MC4M plugs)were very tough, but frequently jammed and cable clamping was pretty poor - but still available from people like Hinton Instruments who do lots of old microphone connectors.

Many old microphones can knock spots off modern ones. I had some STCs I sold on ebay for really silly money - people love the sound. Vintage mics are well worth trying. A looked after 545 is just as useful for all sorts of things as an SM57 is.

Hmmm. My memories of Unidynes and Unispheres aren't quite so pleasant. My memories are from the late 60s and early 70s are possibly coloured (like the mics) by the rubbish PA systems they were connected to in school halls. However, I remember what a revelation it was to start using "proper" mics like the EV635A or Shure SM61 in my first TV studio jobs. Suddenly voices started sounding like real voices!

Hmmm. My memories of Unidynes and Unispheres aren't quite so pleasant. My memories are from the late 60s and early 70s are possibly coloured (like the mics) by the rubbish PA systems they were connected to in school halls. However, I remember what a revelation it was to start using "proper" mics like the EV635A or Shure SM61 in my first TV studio jobs. Suddenly voices started sounding like real voices!

Yeah, I dont think anyone thinks that these are great vocal mics, but they are an interesting alternative tool for instrumental applications.

And doesn that Hmmm need an acknowledgement for its use? :)

Archived