WORK EXPERIENCE

Dear all,

I am currently a 14 year old male student at school in Scarborough (North Yorkshire) and I have a strong passion for technical theater. My interest in technical theater started four years ago when I attended a summer school. A while after I went to an open day at a professional theater in my town, which after talking to a few people I managed to get to operate lighting for a performance. I unfortunately could not go back and help more with there professional performances due to insurance laws however they did put my in touch with a 290 seat amateur theater which I have worked my self up to stage manage productions, deputy sound engineer and have operated lighting on many occasions, I have been working with various companies for over three years now. Through working at the amateur theater I have now been put in touch with many different companies and people, from this I have been able to help out and help run shows in three other professional theaters nearby. Also I have been through the designing, plotting, recording and operating process with other professionals. I am looking to find more experience around the North Yorkshire area for one offdays or helping out with festivals or events or theatrical productions that are visiting the area. I would be extremely great full to anyone willing to give me a different experience to the theatrical industry. I do not want to be payed, I help out with everything for free,all I am looking for is more experience that can be useful for my career.

Thank you for taking time to read this,

Sam Walker

Contact.....Mobile: 07428 661507 Email: samboamp@gmail.com

Sam - the biggest problem you have is repeated in many, many other topics.

It is ILLEGAL for you to work in a theatre until you have finished full time education, Sadly, it is one of the prohibited places mentioned in the Children's Act. Basically, the only legitimate way you can work in a proper theatre, as opposed to school, is where a valid Children's License and a chaperone system is in operation - for your protection! Daft, of course - but the law.

Some of our members have made their own exceptions, but it is risky, with a possible prison sentence if things went wrong, and possibly even insurance implications - is somebody working illegally actually insured? These problems mean that in general - theatres really hate work experience (I changed the title, by the way) because of all the snags, cost and paperwork. Nobody will take out a license for you because of all the grief entailed for a few hours of just 'being there, or helping'.

Sorry

Paul

Keep at it with the amateur theatre. You can gain loads of good experience with the right amateur companies. That's how I started. There is plenty of time yet to develop your career skills. Get some good GSCEs and A levels under your belt as well. Good luck.

Hi. I presume your work was with SJT and they put you in touch with the YMCA. (Say hi to Simon for me). The YMCA is a good venue keep helping out there. If you can get a bus anywhere, get to Malton, (Malton and Norton Musical Theatre) and see where you can lend a hand there. There is NOMADS (Norton Operatics Musical and Dramatics Society) and RYT (Rydale Youth Theatre). Go further afield and there is YSM (York Stage Musicals) and Rowntree Players.

Are you Year 10? I may be able to sort you out some work experience within the department.

Archived