Vocabulary for a frenchy.

Mystic

Hello,

As said in the subject, I'm french (but hide it in english forum :) ). I have a little question, in french tech-language we have special words to say "left side of the stage" or right side. What is the equivalent in english of :

- left side of the stage when facing it (jardin in french)

- right side of the stage when facing it (cour in french)

thanks,

Hello,

As said in the subject, I'm french (but hide it in english forum :) ). I have a little question, in french tech-language we have special words to say "left side of the stage" or right side. What is the equivalent in english of : 

- left side of the stage when facing it (jardin in french)

- right side of the stage when facing it (cour in french)

thanks,

We use "Stage Left", and "Stage Right" but always from the actor's point of view.

Sometimes you will hear "Prompt Side" and "Opposite Prompt" abbreviated to "OP", these are usually as above.

My French is not too good; I read your terms as "garden" and "heart". Why?

-left side of the stage when facing it (jardin in french)

Stage Right

-right side of the stage when facing it (cour in french)

Stage Left

These also get referred to as Prompt Side and Off Prompt, but I always get those muddled up, so I'll leave that to someone else to define :)

Of course some Theatres have the prompt on Stage Right which would be Oposite Prompt. This can be refered to as a Bastard Prompt.

(Just to confuse things)

Basicaly PS is SL irrespective of if the prompt is actually there or SR.

James

Stage Right

Stage Left

These also get referred to as Prompt Side and Off Prompt, but I always get those muddled up, so I'll leave that to someone else to define  :)

Prompt side is stage left and OP is stage right. However this is complicated if the theatre has a "bastard prompt" (i.e. the SM desk is on stage right). Nowadays we always try to stick with prompt side as SL even if this is the case, but obviously calling something "opposite prompt" when it is also "prompt corner" can be confusing!

Edit: James got there before me!

My French is not too good; I read your terms as "garden" and "heart".  Why?

not exactly, it is "garden" and the courtyard (mmm well there must be a better translation but my english is not really good). it refers to the both sides of the stage when the king (in the times france had a king) was watching it, on one side was the garden of Versailles and on the other was the people standing with the king. That's where the terms come from and they are used a lot in fact.

[edit] tranlated cour to courtyard thanks to just soem bloke [/edit]

Surely "coeur" is heart and "cour" is courtyard?

Not that any of those seem to have anything to do with stage left and stage right!

I did say my French was rough!!

My French is not too good; I read your terms as "garden" and "heart".  Why?

not exactly, it is "garden" and the courtyard (mmm well there must be a better translation but my english is not really good). it refers to the both sides of the stage when the king (in the times france had a king) was watching it, on one side was the garden of Versailles and on the other was the people standing with the king. That's where the terms come from and they are used a lot in fact.

[edit] tranlated cour to courtyard thanks to just soem bloke [/edit]

Interesting! I'll try to use them sometime and see who I can confuse!

Stage Right

Stage Left

For those of us who do face the stage, "House Right" and "House Left" do exactly what they say on the tin.

Guest lightnix

Stage Right

Stage Left

For those of us who do face the stage, "House Right" and "House Left" do exactly what they say on the tin.

Those are the terms I've always used when describing a set up from an FOH / audience's point of view.

I REALLY wish that people would avoid using the House R & L!! It just confuses the Numpties.

I can convert L and R in my head and use the correct one but when talking to a Director and checking very carefully that he means SR, then rigging all the lanterns prior to an awkward raked rostra being built ON THE RIGHT (that's what he said, SR. No, no plans, just don't ask!) Went away while the chippies chipped, and came back to... Everything the wrong way round. Oh how we laughed. No access, steep sloping, uneven surface, and the whole blasted rig to swap over. ;)

I only use House Left/Right when talking about followspots (e.g. im on House Left followspot), seating, or anything that isnt on/directly in front of stage (like speakers) really.

Everything else is Stage Left/Right.

Chris

Sort of summing up:

Prompt side (PS)

{'Opposite Bastard prompt'?}

Left side stage facing audience

Right side stage for audience

Cour (courtyard)

Opposite prompt (OP)

{'Bastard prompt'}

Right side stage facing audience

Left side stage for audience

Jardin (garden)

In general, british folk view & name as actors, continentals as audience.

These manners are represented in traffic: just keep on the right side (or left) when abroad.

There's even a mythical explanation: the story starts in the morning (east, the blueish side, prompt, appearance) and ends in the evening (west, the reddish side, farewell, depart).

4 Mystic:

I've read this king-story and it seems true. But it was about the Tuilleries and the Louvre, when viewed from or upon the bridge, the sun (the light source) from behind in the south. Not sure if this story was accurate.

But at the other side of the bridge is a fine restaurant indeed! Lunched there in preparation of M'Orsay & Orangerie. We even didn't managed the tracks on the ground floor...

Archived