IPAF, PASMA, CSCS, JIB etc.

At the place I do my summer work, they have a problem in that there are only three permanent, full time members of staff - so first aid, ladders, scaff, access equipment etc training is only given to these people because they are the only ones guaranteed to be there. This has the unfortunate end result that the only people the insurers will allow on the roof to carry out any form of repair or maintenance is the bar manager and the wages lady. The ideal man cannot go up there because he is as round as tall, and over the weight limit for being up there. So you get the amazing sight of a man terrified of heights try to paint on leak sealer supported by a tiny lady there to 'help'. Neither any good whatsoever at working at height, but both holding the pieces of paper! On the ground are the skilled casuals shouting up the instructions on how to actually do the job. "can you see a crack?" "yes" "is it in the fibre glass or the asbestos?" "yes" and a ten minute job lasts all morning. This is the result of the current situation.

Clive, watch this space, skills cards have been on the menu for a couple of years and are in process. The PSA has been working toward an agreed method of introduction for a while. I believe BECTY and/or ABTT are in discussions. Bit out of the loop these days.

BECTY????? BECTU obviously.

Are you referring to this scheme? Technical Access Passport. In association with ABTT I think. I went to their session at PLASA

Unless the Government control these things, then any scheme is likely to be viewed with suspicion because it's a financial enterprise, and NOT any form of proper qualification.

If the content was set as some kind of approved standard, and then private companies could act as examiners, with scrutiny to maintain a standard, I'd be all in favour, but it's a fudge, and even PLASA will use it as an additional income stream I suppose. If safety truly was the reason for the license, then they'd run it like the driving license, where mandatory regular testing is not required unless your health is poor - but also where doctors are legally required to inform the DVLA even without your consent if they feel you should not drive. If your doc feels they cannot sign off your health, then no driving. These licenses have no similar feature as long as you return to top up and pay again, if you have something really bad, they'd never know!

Unless the Government control these things
Cue uncontrollable laughter.

The government approved the training of "competent electricians" to carry out PAT and colleges took the cash and supplied "tickets" to anyone who could pay the fees.

All the current H&S, TDS, tickets topics are in reality one and the same debate around John Diamonds core questions; "How are we as an industry going to develop standards that apply to all suppliers in the industry, large and small, unless there is regulation to make people do it?"

maybe this? I dunno.

• 2 weeks later...
Unless the Government control these things
Cue uncontrollable laughter.

The government approved the training of "competent electricians" to carry out PAT and colleges took the cash and supplied "tickets" to anyone who could pay the fees.

All the current H&S, TDS, tickets topics are in reality one and the same debate around John Diamonds core questions; "How are we as an industry going to develop standards that apply to all suppliers in the industry, large and small, unless there is regulation to make people do it?"

maybe this? I dunno.

Nice one Kerry. Thanks for the 're-up' as the kids say.

I read with interest (the other choice was watching babies being born on my TV).

In principle I agree that the FFI approach fairly applied would encourage duty holders to comply with the law - everyone has to comply with the law or suffer the same consequences. However, as the feedback in the report indicates putting the principles into practice, while admirable, has the obvious risk whereby the duty holders do not trust the authorities to enforce the principles consistantly and appropriately across all sectors and business sizes.

Archived