AKG WMS40 Radio Mic

Ben Lawrance

I am awaiting delivary of a new AKG WMS40 Radio mic system.

It comprises of a SO40 Snap On transmitter with a SR40 Receiver, what I foolishly didn't find out when I clicked the "Order Now" button was what frequency is it.

Now, being UHF I think it should be selectable (shouldn't it)

I did read something about it being UK1 deregulated frequency. Is that a single frequency or a band of them.

Does anyone have any experiance with the above mentioned radio mic systems.

I am a lampie at heart, so am not too sure about noise.

Ta.

Ben

Now, being UHF I think it should be selectable (shouldn't it)

UHF and selectable frequencies do not necessarily go hand in hand.

Although most modern UHF radio mics are frequency synthesised and therefore selectable, not all are.

The WMS40 is AKG's entry-level system and my understanding is that it is fixed frequency.

I did read something about it being UK1 deregulated frequency. Is that a single frequency or a band of them.

UK1 is not a term I've come across before, it might be AKG's way of saying frequency number one in the UK deregulated band.

There is a range of deregulated frequencies available in the UHF spectrum - for more details see the JFMG web site.

JFMG Web Site

Does anyone have any experiance with the above mentioned radio mic systems.

Not personally, I'm afraid. Being AKG it should be OK, but remember it is costs a fraction of what you would pay for a fully professional radio mic, so don't expect wonders.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing of how you find it - all my experiences with budget radio mics (other makes) have been pretty grim.

Don't know the snap on transmitter, I know everything else in the range has a particularly bad signal to noise ratio and low headroom. What kind of environment are you looking to use it in normally? How big a PA? What source? (heavy metal vocalist or squeaky am dram directors speeches?)

Owen

I will be using it for various purposes.

I am a mobile DJ so it will go out with me on that

I also do light and sound stuff for local am dram groups, schools, charities etc etc.

I am going to use the snap on transmitter with one of my SM58's, thats why I didn't get the AKG hand held mic (it's pants)

Ta for the posts guys

'Lo

I remember using some AKG UHF mics for a season. They weren't the best mics I have used and some fixtures got damaged very easily. The twist locking mini jacks were a bit of a pain but if you/ or the performer got into the habit of holding the mic and rotating the pack it made the mic last much longer.

Another problem maybe shared with other mics - the on off and the selector switches were made or plastic which eroded with use very easily.

:(

Archived