Calendar Girls

paulears

Not sure if anyone else has come across this, but the author made this show available to amateur groups and did not include in the contract requirements the usual geographical v time restrictions, so there are many groups gazumping their neighbours, by putting it on a bit earlier, to grab audiences. As a result - you could think you're doing a show that suddenly gets cancelled when somebody else in a bigger venue nearby suddenly advertises. It's also causing serious bad feeling between formerly friendly societies I'm told. One to watch.

Seems a bit ridiculous ... I'd expect before applying for a license most companies would check to see if anyone else locally is doing it.

I can't understand why amateur groups would want to try and poach audience members from another group : (

Definitely one to watch though, hopefully the rights holder will revise the license to bring it more in line with other productions in terms of geographical/time restrictions.

What's happening is people are getting gazumped. Near me, just across the Norfolk border, it's being done later in the year, yet last week, it was announced the local group in my town are going to do it, BEFORE the other group. They have already spent the money on posters, photos etc, and suddenly doing it in a venue double the size, where many members of the audience will be the same, is a bit underhand - so now there's a battle underway!

We're just auditioning for it at the minute. We had the rights for a while and kept it under wraps until we'd secured the show that's preceeding it (we're doing The Full Monty followed by Calendar Girls as a bit of a double - guess why!). A new am dram group locally got the rights as well (literally a minute down the road) and announced it straight away. I think a little negotiating was done and from what I can gather it's all pretty ammicable. You know what local rivalries can be like though between societies!

According to an editorial in the July issue of "Amateur Stage", the producer decided to release the amateur rights for a limited one-year window from September 2012. The idea was to break a world record for the maximum number of productions of a play and in so doing raise funds for charity.

Samuel French received 300 applications and issued 154 licences. Licences for amateur productions of plays are not subject to the 3-month or 30 miles rule that is applied to musicals apparently, although a professional production would, of course, result in a total withdrawal of licences, probably nationally. It has been suggested that groups competing locally should negotiate or co-operate with each other.

The producer has been quoted as saying that he regrets the decision to release the amateur rights as it has given rise to much backbiting and unhappiness!

and the idea of local societies willing to negotiate or co-operate with each other is another somewhat out of touch statement! I remember well a good friend being called a traitor for going in the oppositions show because her group were having a break!

and the idea of local societies willing to negotiate or co-operate with each other is another somewhat out of touch statement! I remember well a good friend being called a traitor for going in the oppositions show because her group were having a break!

Yeah I remember the UK being like that. I don't miss that at all now I'm far, far away.

My "home" society has it's clubhouse across the car park from my "away" society, and we swap actors, crew, cross-hire stuff pretty often, we play the same venues. We also swap actors and directors with at least three other further away societies.

Worth a picture from google maps:

http://davidbuckley.name/pix/studios.jpg

We're the grey and white roofed buildings by A, and the cross shaped building to the left with most of the cars outside is the other society. The red roofed building is (amongst other things) the local brass band, which was very handy when we did Brassed Off!

Yep. In a way its like two supermarkets selling the same product. You have to find a way to bring the shoppers into your store.

I've always found amateur to be a lot more nasty in terms of rivalry that anyone else. !

Good luck to everyone doing it, and good luck to all the crews having to witness the "production" in their venue! - I think I might start a therapy group.

Archived