Lighting software

elliot.Williams

And here is a new one that I haven't seen previously discussed.

Except for when you started a topic and mentioned it....?

And it mentions on the site: "Mode, Reports and Plots are not available" which would suggest the student edition is mainly intended for visualisation, rather than lighting design and paperwork as the OP seems to require?

David

• 3 weeks later...
Guest daniel2002

I have just bought a Mac and I was wondering what would be a good lighting design soft wear to get for my mac, If possible cheep thanks.

I haven't found any good cheap software, I've found I've had to spend a fair bit to get anything that would do what I want it to do.

Is it design software or control software with a visualised? elliot hasn't actually said what he wants it to do - I'd have thought that printing plans and other design docs is important - or I wonder if he just wants to see things move on screen? A bit unclear.

Try out the LX free by Claude Heintz. Claude made in the 90's Mac Luxpro.

Lxfree is fast, flexible, uses layers, customizable libraries, creates paperworks, and it is free.

I work in opera houses and use it all the time, since I found that all theatres have their own software (autocad, Vectorworks , wysiwyg or whatever) You re never compatible with all of them anyway, so I just do my own version of a plot in my beloved LXfree... I import the house rig, show sets and show rig in different layers. And it makes very readable plots on paper.

There is a seperate tool that allows adapting your paperwork, colorlibraries and custom fixtures.

several shortcuts give you direct acces to attribute data and display.

Check it out:

http://lx.claudeheintzdesign.com/lxfree.html

Another version called LxBeams allows beam display and some basic simulation. Lx Control gives you a linked DMX controller, but I have no experience with it,

I worked many years with Wysiwyg and a bit on vectorworks, but this is much more userfriendly .

Good luck,

Peter

Archived