Need help getting Mac250's to work with Freekie

DJBERT

Just got a pair of MAC 250's and a Freekie controller. Firstly I have tested the mac250's in demo mode and all works well. I set the mac 250's to dmx4 mode is that correct? I have set the 1st mac to channel 1 fixture 1, the 2nd mac is on channel 13 fixture 2 on freekie. I am using normal DMX XLR (should I use a phase reverse?) I have set the macs on the freekie to be fader 2 as dimmer value 1 -255. fader 8 is pan and fader 10 is tilt. The pan and tilt and colours all work fine with the controller. The problem is the shutter just won't open.

Please Help

Tom

Just got a pair of MAC 250's and a Freekie controller. Firstly I have tested the mac250's in demo mode and all works well. I set the mac 250's to dmx4 mode is that correct? I have set the 1st mac to channel 1 fixture 1, the 2nd mac is on channel 13 fixture 2 on freekie. I am using normal DMX XLR (should I use a phase reverse?) I have set the macs on the freekie to be fader 2 as dimmer value 1 -255. fader 8 is pan and fader 10 is tilt. The pan and tilt and colours all work fine with the controller. The problem is the shutter just won't open.

Please Help

Tom

Not familiar with the Freekie but...

A 250 in mode 4 has 13 channels doesn't it? (channels 1 to 13) so you'd have to have your second one at channel 14. If pan and tilt and colours are working correctly then you don't need to change the DMX polarity ("phase reverse") from what you already have.

Dave

All ok just sorted it you have to set the freekie as fader 1 is the dimmer with range of 228-237 which is lamp on in the DMX protocol. Once you've done that the fader 2 on the freekie does work the dimmer (shutters) also it needs to be in dmx3 mode on the macs as the freekie isn't quite good enough for the mac's ie the freekie can only do 12 channels and the mac ideally needs 13 channels. Posted just in case anybody else was having problems etc

Tom

What model 0f 250 have you got? I use 250 Kryptons on a freekie sometimes, not ideal as the freekie allows 12 channels per fixture and the krptons take 14 to control, I have mine as fixture 9 (address 97) and fixture 11 (address 121). I diddnt set a dimmer value just the pan and tilt for use on the joystick (not that the joystick on the freekie is that great.

On the 250 kryptons with the freekie you need to have fader one up slightly to open the shutter then use fader two to set the itensity.

aha I'm too slow, see you are sorted

What model 0f 250 have you got? I use 250 Kryptons on a freekie sometimes, not ideal as the freekie allows 12 channels per fixture and the krptons take 14 to control, I have mine as fixture 9 (address 97) and fixture 11 (address 121). I diddnt set a dimmer value just the pan and tilt for use on the joystick (not that the joystick on the freekie is that great.

On the 250 kryptons with the freekie you need to have fader one up slightly to open the shutter then use fader two to set the itensity.

Thanks for the reply that's interesting that you didn't set the dimmer up. Like I said I did set the dimmer up as fader 1 with value 238-247 which is shutter open and light on in DMX protocol - the problem is that I do have it working fine and I can dimm the light with fader 2 but I can't strobe the light etc - I am going to try your way of just not setting up the dimmer on the freekie. I have just the old standard mac 250 pair of them. Did you set the lamp to be permantly on, on the mac menu?

Excellent cracked it thank you - on the freekie you have to assign a fader for the dimmer just found out but I set the dimmer to fader 1 with full value 1 - 255 and now I have full control of the lights as you said you need fader one up a little bit to 20-49 for open and strobe bit more 50-72. The thing is the mac250 manual says the dimmer is channel 2 so that's what I did. Moral of the story don't read the manual.

Now I can get busy programming some shows.

Cheers

Tom

I never set the dimmer value, I set them up quick as an extra for the rig of mini macs, destroyers and robo scans I was using at the time. thats why they are at the end of the fixtures list, as you had to adjust faders for gobo, colour etc I just set the the shutter value for the scene at the time. maybe not the best way to program em but it was a very last minute set up, it worked so I just carries on that way.

the freekie is an ok little desk, still have mine as a back up and use it with a 2518 and a seperate run for dimmers/led pars, which was ok at the time, but I use a martin xciter these days and hire in an avo tiger or pearl2000 when I'm doing somet big

I never set the dimmer value, I set them up quick as an extra for the rig of mini macs, destroyers and robo scans I was using at the time. thats why they are at the end of the fixtures list, as you had to adjust faders for gobo, colour etc I just set the the shutter value for the scene at the time. maybe not the best way to program em but it was a very last minute set up, it worked so I just carries on that way.

the freekie is an ok little desk, still have mine as a back up and use it with a 2518 and a seperate run for dimmers/led pars, which was ok at the time, but I use a martin xciter these days and hire in an avo tiger or pearl2000 when I'm doing somet big

Started programming some shows in all works well but the first show in bank 1 I did was way too complicated and looked messy but I can't work out how to delete just that 1st show do you know how to delete just that one show? I tried the delete button but doesn't seem to do anything then I tried overwriting it using the store button which does work but is a nightmare because you have all the colour gobo position all good store it then move to scene 2 and you lose it all and have to start from scratch again if I could just delete that one show it would be a lot easier. I have considered wiping the freekie memory and starting again as got quick at setting up a show now but I am sure I will want to delete or redo the odd show in he future etc.

Tom

Have a read of user manual.

http://www.martinpro.co.uk/service/downloadfile.asp?name=UM_Freekie_EN_E.pdf&cat=65

Havnt got time to go through it now, but if I remember right, youll need to be in edit mode and select the fixtures used in the scene you wish to delete and you should be able to delete the show scene by scene. read through manual and there may be a quicker way to delete whole show at once. but right now ive actually got a sat night that I'm not working so beer is calling.

Have a read of user manual.

http://www.martinpro.co.uk/service/downloadfile.asp?name=UM_Freekie_EN_E.pdf&cat=65

Havnt got time to go through it now, but if I remember right, youll need to be in edit mode and select the fixtures used in the scene you wish to delete and you should be able to delete the show scene by scene. read through manual and there may be a quicker way to delete whole show at once. but right now ive actually got a sat night that I'm not working so beer is calling.

Archived