Behringer XL1600 Vs Allen & Heath PA20?

MisterJames

Hello,

I know it seems a stupid questions but Behringers XL Range seem extremely good for the money but is it? I current own a behringer Xenyx and its been great barr a power problems that was a loose cable. Is it worth paying the extra £££ for Allen & Heath.

ALSO! Has anyone used the PA12 or PA20 or the ZED range?

Hope you can help/advise.

Have just had a PA20 in for repair. It was a pleasure to work on plus ALL the parts are listed and available from Allen & Heath. That said, the unit had been abused in a holiday park for several years without being serviced. Had it been regularly serviced, it would have been fine. We install the ZED range in lots of places and have never had one back.

As far as the Behringer goes, If you get a good one it will last forever; If it's a Friday afternoon unit you'll have nothing but problems.

For me it's Allen & Heath all the way!

Hope that helps,

Rob

Hello,

I know it seems a stupid questions but Behringers XL Range seem extremely good for the money but is it? I current own a behringer Xenyx and its been great barr a power problems that was a loose cable. Is it worth paying the extra £££ for Allen & Heath.

ALSO! Has anyone used the PA12 or PA20 or the ZED range?

Hope you can help/advise.

I have had 2 Xenyx mixers, both were committed to the skip after their PSU's blew (one being a separate PSU). Having enquired about repairs the cost of postage and the repairs were as much as a new unit.

I also have a PA20 and a PA12CP. The PA20 has been no problem. The PA12CP took a fall from the back of a hatchback car. It broke faders, circuit board and bent the casing. £70 at the local dealer just outside of Blackpool and it is as good as new ( and that was 5 years ago!).

A & H every time!

Yup. I tend to use Aux returns only when I've run out of channels. I much prefer having my effects on another proper fader (or two).

(And I agree with everything said about the relative merits of Behringer and A&H. Behringer is okay value FOR THE MONEY but A&H is in a different league in terms of quality, both of the build and the audio.)

James,

WELL worth spending the extra for the A&H PA series if you're doing live work. They are just so clearly laid out, great sounding and easy to use. A neat thing which many owners don't always appreciate is the built in patch bay at the top. You can configure the parametric eq to be used in either the main outs or the foldbacks, or a mixture of both. The mono out allows you to connect a sub amp (or active subs) directly without the need for a crossover. It's just very flexible and well thought-out.

I have three and prefer them over Spirit, Mackie and Behringer any day. The ones with the amp in are extremely heavy though!

PA

ps. The PA series does have aux return capability - in two ways: there's an "Ext FX in" which gets mixed with the output from the internal FX engine, and is controlled on the yellow "Effects" fader. This is actually useful as it allows you to mute all FX in between songs. The other way is to use one of the four stereo inputs. The inputs on phonos can be optionally routed directly to the main L-R so are also fine for FX return.

As Pete said, you can put an external FX unit in via "Ext FX in" but I agree with Mervaka and Bobbsy - Out via Aux, return via a spare channel.

(Personally I prefer to bring it back in via a mono channel - once you get into stereo FX, all sorts of strange things can happen!)

I really appreciate the advise everyone! - Ive order myself a PA12 from DV247!! Should be here in a few days... Im so confused about the Aux out and returning via a spare channel, I totally understand what your saying but how do you patch this? Insert cable or In line... Balanced XLR? Also how does this allow me to apply effect to selective channels?

Hope someone can clear this up im sure its probs just me!

Cheers

The PA series have an 'Ext FX In' this routes the external FX through the FX fader. This will allow you to control both the Int and Ext FX on one fader. Or you can route the Ext FX back in via a spare channel.

I have a Behringer 10ch something or other that has 4 subs and on board effects. Excellent amount of facilities for the price. Damn thing started dying on day 366.... :angry:

I decided to replace it with an A&H Zed 420 as I wanted the same routing capabilities and a couple more channels. It's only a couple of months old and hasn't been used in anger yet, just tested in the lounge errr... workshop ;)

The only thing I don't like about the A&H is the faders feel (to be blunt) crap! There's no resistance and feel like they may just snap off, although I don't think they will for one moment.

The Behringer's had that nice bit of resistance that allowed for nice smooth fading. (Their LC2412 lighting desk, awful as it may be, has really nice faders!)

All things being equal, the A&H faders should be better quality. Our old friend time will tell I guess. :)

Archived