Gauze Hire Suffolk - if a gauze is what's needed

TomHoward

Evening all

I have a design for a set here for an am-dram production around Easter - the set is the interior of a railway station waiting room, with the platform upstage (unseen-ish). The designer has asked for a gauze upstage before the cyc/upstage tabs as he wants the continuation into the unseen - 'haze' is the brief - but I'm not sure this will give the effect he's looking for - once it's lit I'm worried it'll just look like a cyc?

I'd be interested in what anyone thinks a about that - and then unless anyone has any better suggestions I'd be looking for the hire of an appropriate gauze in 40'x20' minimum - ideally 44'x22' near Ipswich / Norwich.

ordinary gauzes tend to be too solid when lit from the front - so unless you can create some dark in front of it, then light behind it, it won't be great. If you can get some lightweight gauze it works great. I've no idea what it's called - but it looks like net curtain material but a little lighter. I've got some old light blue and light pink, and it's a bit fragile - but it does tend to shimmer a little and does add depth when placed in front of a solid cloth and lit through.

Have you tried scenic projects?

a gauze in front of a cloth or cyc can give a nice soft focus affect. It's quite subtle, but definitely different to having just a cloth. I don't think there would be much gained from using one in front of black serge tabs, though I recall one of my fly cues in a production of "Snow Queen" being to lean (carefully) over the flyrail and gently "oscilate" the black gauze bar downstage of the black starcloth to make the pea-lamps appear to shimmer (no fibre optics or DMX involved)

Sorry, can't answer your question about hire stockists in Suffolk though

I designed for and lit a production of 'Woman in Mind' where I used a gauze to 'soften' the painted cyc - it worked very well.

If you've just got a set of blacks in they my first though was 'multiple gauzes' ie a set of gauzes in different colours giving you a fade-out effect.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I he is thinking of a light white or grey gauze in front of black tabs - hopefully this will create a soft effect. Having just seen the model is it all pretty dark so I think it'll have to be black upstage to fit in.

I haven't tried Scenic Projects yet but they were on our list. Viking are a regular supplier of ours - I have a paper catalogue of theirs so I'll check in there - it's possible Ian does have some.

Hi I run a Sound and Lighting Company in Essex AMS EVENTS not a million miles form you! we have a White gauze for Hire 40ft wide 20ft Drop if you need to hire one and not a million miles form Ipswitch? Only a trip up the a12 if you need one. Its very new and well looked after. thanks andy

Thanks for all the suggestions - Andy I will keep that in mind.

It turned out Scenic Projects had a nice 'cloud painted' grey gauze that would have been perfect:

http://www.scenicprojects.co.uk/Media/Images/Upload/558/1355.jpg

But the group didn't follow the usual order of getting the licence before they start work on the play, so despite being designed, costed, cast and having started rehearsals, they couldn't get the rights (as apparently there's a pro show going out next year).

Archived