Fading Out Projector

jexjexjex

Hi Troops

I'll start by saying I don't normally get involved with projectors/laptops and such during shows and I've read through some threads in this forum and there are WAAYYYY too many terms that I don't have a clue about hare!

Pleaseuse my ignorance on this...

My problem is frustration during some of the shows that I regularly get involved with, where there's an element of simple laptop based projection. Nine times out of ten at some point, the laptop or projector always goes into some type of standby mode which results in a blue or black screen appearing onstage, normally at a most unfortnate time during a show.

Not really my problem and to be fair some groups are much better at this type of thing than others.

I suppose my query is really is there some type of simple fade-out/mixer device available that can sit between a laptop and a projector that can be used to fade the projector output to black when it's not needed or to allow any switching between presentations or videos?

I assume that there are must be, given the amount of projection that goes on in the professional world.

All ideas greatfully received.

Sounds like your latop is going to sleep, you need to turn sleep mode off.

Computers needs to be 'gig ready' when presenting eg turn off sleep,

turn off screen saver and networking unless you need it to name a few.

You can use a vision mixer or a switcher depending on how you connect to you projector.

Most vision mixers have a blackout button on them - but even with this, the projector is still projecting black light. We always used to use the blackout button in conjunction with a string-and-pulley manual douser to block any light - that way you can fade to black on the vision mixer, then pull the douser in. When you need to see the output of the projector again, take the douser out ten seconds before you need it, then un-black out for a reasonably smooth transition.

The reason that'll be happening is that the laptop will go to 'sleep' so the projector will lose signal, then after maybe 30 seconds the projector will go to standby mode and you'll see the blue screen, usually with a little black box with a timer counting down..

An easy way around it, is making sure the laptop has 'sleep mode' off.. so it never turns off, hibernates, sleeps etc which will ensure the signal keeps sending to the projector.

That in theory is all you should need to do.. but if not, you can get anything from a crash switcher, remote to turn the projector off.. or a projector douser such as http://www.stagelighting.co.uk/gadgets-gizmos/city-theatrical-DMX-projector-dowser

Making sure the laptop doesn't turn off is the quickest, easiest and cheapest fix though..

Ta

Id normally not consider connecting a laptop directly to a projector with no control. nobody wants to see the blue screen of death or windows logo in the middle of a performance, if you have a direct connection, the best you can do is yank out the vga, nd if you have turned the no signal screen to black and the onscreen display to off you at least get nothing... Id normally use some sort of basic presentation switcher or scaler. This has the advantage of allowing you to blank or freeze the screen as well as fading to black or seamlessly between sources. you also have a panic button when it all goes wrong. Ive personally used the Kramer units as they do a lot for the money and are pretty easy and obvious to use. http://www.kramerelectronics.co.uk/products/model.asp?pid=1684&sf=234 would be the basic unit The poor mans alternative is to wire the projector remote if its got that option via 3.5mm jacks, if you do this at least you can hit blank or no show..

• 4 weeks later...
The poor, poor mans version would be a sheet or two of acetate printed from black to White through lightening greys. Use this with a color scroller, or at least a bit of string. This will give you a smooth fade out. Make sure you don't melt the acetate with the projector tho.

Archived