Has anyone actually used any decent LED Moving Lights yet?

Aaron-Hill07

I think the Chauvet units (and presumably the Showtec ones too) are more similar to an Entour. I the beam angle on a Krypton was about 20 degrees? And the Entour 17.2?

Not sure I'd agree they're beam lights Paul - I don't think they're quite narrow enough for that, I'd still class them as profiles. But then that's my opinion!

Something else worth mentioning which hasn't yet! Certainly the Chauvet units (and I assume the Showtec ones and equivalent) require an allen key to attach the hook clamps. They're NOT the quarter turn fixings which are common on moving lights. Not a big issue but worth mentioning. Make sure you always have an allen key with them!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something else worth mentioning which hasn't yet! Certainly the Chauvet units (and I assume the Showtec ones and equivalent) require an allen key to attach the hook clamps. They're NOT the quarter turn fixings which are common on moving lights. Not a big issue but worth mentioning. Make sure you always have an allen key with them!

Not until a hire company sends you some units that are destined for the floor, but have clamps attached and you don't have an allen key to hand. Been there done that, it isn't fun!

On the subject of LED beam lights, I added a pile of these fixtures to my stock just before christmas, and so far they have been reliable, bright, fast and do everything they should. Sure, there not sharpies, but at around 7% of the purchase price, you have to make some allowances

50w LED source

4 deg. optics

prism

colour wheel

6 rotating gobos

16 bit pan / tilt

dimmer / strobe - electronic, but very smooth

they are the purple beams below, everything else on that stage is a mixture of clay paky miniscan hpe/s and stagecolour 300's which are all 300w HTI.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii196/csgal14tp/IMG_1827.jpg

We've had some of the Elation E-spot's on a couple of recent shows now. Very impressed with them each time. They were mainly used for side and back lighting, so the throw wasn't that long, but we were impressed at their brightness and the crispness of the beam and gobo's. Certainly not what we were expecting ("what have we got those little things for?"). In a backlighting capacity, they were strong contenders against a 250w fixture and at that short range, were giving the 575's a run for their money as well. We've never tried them any higher or further away, but I've no reason to suspect they'd perform any differently at range.

And, you get 4 in the flightcase size of 2 575's. Always good for van packing!

Its funny that csg has mentioned Clay Paky Miniscans. I'm in the process of converting one of mine to LED. I've made the LED/condenser optics holder. I just need a few little bits and pieces to finish it off and then I'll compare it to a standard Miniscan. I'll post my results here when its done :)

Not until a hire company sends you some units that are destined for the floor, but have clamps attached and you don't have an allen key to hand. Been there done that, it isn't fun!

This is true of the showtec ones and exceptionally annoying, mine don't go anywhere without an appropriate key now (lives in the case)

Not sure why they don't use the quarter turn fittings, I can't imagine the cost would be much more, shame it's not something you can really retrofit ;)

Unless I was having a very thick moment when I rigged some of the qspots 2 weeks ago you could only rig them one way round.

i.e. you can't fit the clamps 90deg out to line all your movers up if some are on up/down bars and some on left/right bars if that makes any sense.

This has been possible on every Martin, Robe, Clay Paky etc that I have used.

Its funny that csg has mentioned Clay Paky Miniscans. I'm in the process of converting one of mine to LED. I've made the LED/condenser optics holder. I just need a few little bits and pieces to finish it off and then I'll compare it to a standard Miniscan. I'll post my results here when its done :)

I would be very interested to see that when you are done - ive still got a good pile of mini hpe's ( 32 or so), and love them to bits, but re-lamping time is a painful process, and it seems to be at least once a year per unit.

One mod I have done to all of mine is to PFC them - clay paky never did this on these units, so they draw just under 6 amp running at 240V - a lot for a unit of this size. One 35microfarad PFC capacitor wired between live and neutral, and all of a sudden is pulling 2.6A running, and runs the ballast choke runs cooler as well.

Getting back on to subject - those LED beamlights in the pic have the standard type quarter turn omega clamp fixings, so no messing around with allen keys / bolts.

Unless I was having a very thick moment when I rigged some of the qspots 2 weeks ago you could only rig them one way round.

i.e. you can't fit the clamps 90deg out to line all your movers up if some are on up/down bars and some on left/right bars if that makes any sense.

Im pretty sure your right there. The spacing between the fixings are not square, but rectangular. So thus you cant spin the clamps around anyway you wish, this also applies to units with Allen Keys. Was just fiddling around with some last night.

Getting back on to subject - those LED beamlights in the pic have the standard type quarter turn omega clamp fixings, so no messing around with allen keys / bolts.

What were they ? I didn't see a manufacturer / model in the original post unless I'm missing something (quite possible ;))

Im pretty sure your right there. The spacing between the fixings are not square, but rectangular. So thus you cant spin the clamps around anyway you wish, this also applies to units with Allen Keys. Was just fiddling around with some last night.

Yep this annoyed me at first as well, though the orientation of the fixture doesn't really bother me that much now, can work around it on the desk.

We have 3 (why not 4 is beyond me, but that's management I suppose) Showtec GiantXLs in work.

They're good for an LED to be fair, but a little less punchy when using the prism unless there's a decent amount of haze. They lack a red in the colour wheel, and the gobos (rotating) aren't replaceable to the best of my knowledge. However, they are small, light weight and quite fast moving. Not bad really for around £450 each.

You're right there Jon.

Something else I've just thought of actually.

Normally you rig a head, it locates and then when you turn the tilt encoder it either tilts towards you or away from you (depending if you've inverted your tilts). These however tilt across - they "locate" 90 degrees out from what you'd expect.

Not a massive issue as on many desks you can specify a home preset, but thought it was worth mentioning.

• 2 weeks later...

dose anyone know anything about the stairville hm x25 led movers are they good effect good price etc

thanks

Moderation: Luke, this is the third topic you have either started or asked about these movers in. Please don't cross-post, it only annoys members and also means that information gets spread all over the forum rather than being kept in one concise thread. I'm going to merge your other two threads as well to try and keep everything in the same place. Anna mods

Archived