Best type of material for projection screens in nightclub

Jamtastic3

Hi BR,

Bit of an odd one but I'm looking for the best type of material to use as permanent 'screens' in a nightclub.

They would be used for visuals and lighting effects (eg washlights hitting the surface, washing from behind etc) and would be made on a PVC pipe/wooden structure.

It needs to be really cheap, very lightweight, can partially let light through but needs to be fire retardant or can be sprayed to be fire retardant. I've tried stretch fabric in the past but when sprayed, it loses all elasticity.

So can anyone recommend a good material..... muslin, canvas, bed sheet .....???

Thanks!

When you say it can let light through, do you mean like a guaze? If you want a transparentish look, you can use TUTU material or nylon mesh which you can get in white black and colours from the Clothshop on Bonnington rd. It costs nothing and works well if you want an array of semi transparent screens. If you want "proper" Screens you can look at material from Harkness, Rosco or Gerriets, Black Light Stock Rosco and as its sold by the M and comes in 1.4 or 2.8m widths it can be fairly cheap if you are sensible with your sizes.We would supply Harkness, but only made up to with welded edges etc which may not be what you need. The Screen material should be inherently fireproof, allthough ive had an argument with a fire officer about the tutu material in the past as it will burn, but extinquishes when the flame is removed and doesnt burn in advance of the flame which I feel complies, but its open to interpretation.

That particular image looks like Panne velvet. It takes images fairly well, and takes light spectacularly. It can be flame retarded, weighs next to nothing and has a little bit of stretch in it. One drop will be slightly translucent, if you need opaque, 2 drops will be pretty close.

Interesting! Thanks for that Mac. Being velvet, is it as 'feathery' as your typical velvet? Have you worked with it before?

It is velvety - it is really hard to explain. It is soft to the touch, and has a really short pile. I think an image works best.

http://www.textiletraders.com.au/media/panne_velvet.jpg

The white does not have the same sheen and generally you will want to go for the lighter weight (non-backed) stuff.

The ballroom I used to work at we had full room drapes made out of both the white and black panne and there was a local company who could do the room in about 7 colours. We didn't project onto it often, but we did use complex gobos on it all the time (because if you have the money to drape out a room, generally you have the money to shove a load of lighting in there too).

Archived