Shipping Metrodeck

Stuart91

I've got a few pieces of Metrodeck that have turned out to be surplus to requirements. (Four 2x1m decks and two 2x0.5m decks)

I'll probably offer them for sale soon, either via the eBay or the classifieds on this site. One potential stumbling block is the cost for shipping them to any prospective buyers. Our regular couriers pretty much coughed their skulls up at the prospect. If I were having to ship something like this myself, I'd probably use Shiply.com or something similar. However, they seem to be based on what's available on the day (part loads going in your direction etc.) so I'm looking for something a bit more consistent that I can offer to buyers. Anyone got any recommendations?

Man with a van ? It will fit in one.

The drawback with "man with a van", as with Shiply etc., is that the price will vary depending on the destination. I'd ideally like somewhere that could quote me a flat rate for anywhere mainland UK (excluding highlands and islands I suppose) so that bidders can have confidence that the delivery costs aren't going to ruin the deal for them.

I suppose this means one of the mainstream couriers. We tend to use CityLink, who are fine for smaller packages but not so good on unusual/larger ones. I don't know if any of the others were any better, so keen to hear of any experiences people have had.

Or buyer collects ?

Whilst that's certainly the least hassle for me, I don't think it encourages interest online. There's plenty of useful items that I have passed over because it's not worth driving the length of the country to collect them. And I've had more than my fair share of headaches trying to arrange my own courier pickups from people, so I'd be keen to save my customers that bother.

The overall mass would probably cause the restrictions. Tuffnells are quite good, I know for work purpouses they carry really large long and bulky items for us. Citylink and the main couriers dont normally accept pallets, but do seem to have the capability to combine your deliveries and put them on a pallet upside down!

Do citylink still work for one off jobs ? I tried to send some scores back with them and they said they only work under contract (you pay x amount and will send x packages per month kinda thing)

We have an account with Citylink, and there are no minimum quantities or anything like that. However our account has been open for six or seven years, so the terms may not be as generous for new applicants.

We find Citylink to be quite competitively priced for standard jobs, but they really aren't cut out for anything out of the ordinary. I was skinned quite badly shipping some flightcases to Belfast a few years ago, discovering the jobs of "volumetric pricing" in the process.

Tuffnells sounds like a good tip, I'll check them out - thanks R.J.S.

Tuffnells sounds like a good tip, I'll check them out - thanks R.J.S.

Tuffnells require you to have an account for which there is a minimum weekly payment. They do have good pricing though.

Night freight on the other hand don't have this, but they cost more.

If it's one off find a few local pallet shippers who will be happy to quote you.

I've no helpful leads for shipping larger items but want to praise the use of https://www.interparcel.com/ for most consignments.

That's a very useful looking site - I've just had a play around with it. One interesting thing it turned up was that I could get a same-day delivery from DHL for less than a next-day delivery from City Link. (Admittedly, this was for a relatively local consignment, but still...)

Archived