Budget vocal mic

ghance

Been tasked with supplying a vocal mic with stand and a cable for under £70.

Customer is a pub venue with live music twice a week. cheesy rock covers for an audience of 100.

If it was me, I'd buy a 2nd hand SM58 from a pawnbrokers.. typically £35-£40 and they usually have a Stagg or Proel mic stand kicking around for around £10-.

Customer wants new.. so I guess its a Shure PG58, stand & cable package from the Banjo Centre of Brighton for £67 inc VAT.

any suggestions for a better offering? AKG D77? Senni e835?.. can I do any better than the PG58 package?

I'm not a fan of mics with switches, but a bit of tape can sort that out. So how about this which I find is a very good mic for the money and we've had them in student rehearsal rooms for many years. I'm sure you can find 6p somewhere!

I'm not a big fan of the Shure PG stuff. It is built to a price.

The switches break easily, and the XLR inserts very easily pull out of the chassis.

For the small amount extra you pay for the SM/Beta range it is definitely worth it.

The Sennheiser stuff Mark has linked to is also very good for the money (and much better built than the Shure PG stuff).

I'm not a fan of mics with switches, but a bit of tape can sort that out. So how about this which I find is a very good mic for the money and we've had them in student rehearsal rooms for many years. I'm sure you can find 6p somewhere!

+1

Decent sound, Value for Money and Not bad build quality.

Beats the PG series hands down IMHO

HTH

Dan

If you can stretch an extra 8 quid the e840 is to my ears more pleasant than the 835 (and doesn't have a switch). http://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_e_840bundle.htm

Been tasked with supplying a vocal mic with stand and a cable for under £70.

Customer is a pub venue with live music twice a week. cheesy rock covers for an audience of 100.

If it was me, I'd buy a 2nd hand SM58 from a pawnbrokers.. typically £35-£40 and they usually have a Stagg or Proel mic stand kicking around for around £10-.

Customer wants new.. so I guess its a Shure PG58, stand & cable package from the Banjo Centre of Brighton for £67 inc VAT.

any suggestions for a better offering? AKG D77? Senni e835?.. can I do any better than the PG58 package?

I know people won't want to hear this? However, that Behringer mic was great value for money. I can't remember the exact model number. Is it X18? Anyway, I didn't choose it myself. I was given it, & told to get on with it. I was really surprised. For £20 wow!!! Try it oiut. you'll be surprised

Local hire company, to me that is...swear by this lot:

http://www.jts.com.tw/_en/01_professional/01_detail.php?sid=420

The link is meant purely as a link to research the site, I'm not endorsing the mic this featured btw.

Might be worth a punt? Hopefully other folk will do the endorse or avoid thing in due course???

And before I forget they like also a certain Behringer condenser mic too. Perhaps there are parts of the B factory (well, in China) that have good guys after all???

I'm fairly sure that the mic linked to has a screw on the switch which can be used to keep it in the 'on' position too instead of tape if you think that looks a bit messy, I have a couple of these (or very similar models, I can't remember exactly right now) and they are really very nice mics for the price, plus you get the 3year guarantee from thomann, which might be good for a pub venue

Archived