Mic Mute Switches (Balanced)

Bazz339

Belated New Year Greetings.

Can anyone point me in the direction of ready made microphone mute switches, I have done a search and am aware of Audio Technica bases that the mic plug into which have switches and am looking at Optogate proximity switches, but a conference base doesn't fit the bill as the mics are usually clip mounted rather than on tables.

MIc low impedance balanced, usually requiring phantom power.

Ideally what I would like is small box with a push on push off switch that can be mounted on a lectern or similar. I don't really want to run the mic cable to and from this so something with a thin cable to go to a remotely mounted box (maybe the wall socket) might be what I want. I would also like it to have an LED or similar visual indication of the mic being live.

I can make something myself but would prefer to buy in commercially made ones if they are sensibly priced and suit.

Failing that can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable switch like the one used on the AT bases available in low numbers, I will have a look at CPC, RS and Farnell but don't find their sites the easiest to browse when you need something very specific. Whilst I haven't got a problem with making a mute switch powering the LED such that there was not a click when the mic was switched is not something I have tried, if anyone has a circuit diagram that would do it that would be great. Light does not have to be too bright as ambient light level not very high.

Hi

http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/

I would highly recommend giving these guys a ring. They've made me custom DI boxes in the past, with a very fast turn around, and very reliable electronics.

The Prices are also really good too.

I would think it would be very cheap, as what you need would probably be very much like the "muting DI box" they do, minus the transformer.

Hope this is helpful!

Actually ignore all I said above (though I'm sure the proco units are still very good) - Orchid are definitely good people to talk to, Tony's entirely right. The company I suggested were in the US too, which isn't overly helpful!

Boswell's unit he links to also looks to do all you'd want.

They really can't be that difficult to build though, even when wanting to pass phantom. I built one a long time ago which was almost identical to what you want, apart from the remote switch was a foot pedal, and the relay unit was mounted in the back of a rack. Reckon you could easily knock one up for 20 quid with a project box, wall wart psu, relay and some XLR's. Maybe an hour's labour and you'd have a decent little unit. If you got crafty with some solid state relays it could maybe even be phantom powered....

Pardon my ignorance, but if it's always balanced, could you just short +ve and -ve rails together with a thin cable & run this thin cable back to the XLR?

Yes, a valid solution however sometimes this simple solution can cause clicks on the system particularly if there is phantom power, but I have used simple shorting switches in the past

with phantom power without problem.

It is more the asthetics of the right switch, the right box, right finish and idealy with an indicator light that is of concern.

Thanks folks some very useful pointers there, just adding my own which may be of interest to others scroll down to the PB05-09 products

• 2 months later...

Many thanks to Bruce for mentioning my existing product to silently mute balanced microphone signals, but due to the great success of this, a cheaper and simpler item has been introduced - by customer request.

The main use seems to be with fiddle and other similar traditional instruments fitted with high quality microphones, such as DPA, Audio Technica, Shure - where the musician wishes to mute and silently tune up - or place the instrument on a stand and avoid feedback, when not in use.

I have been surprised by the diverse uses to which this item has been put, they can be found in some strange places!

Orchid Mic Mute - lite

That with a nice low profile box remote switch and status indicator light would be great for more formal situations eg desktop mics, lecterns, pulpits etc. main box could live on the floor under desk or lectern.

Archived