Patt 23 fork needed please

terrylee

Hello all I'm new here so please be gentle. I have googled around trying to get a part for my Old Strand 23 lantern. I'm a solo singer and have a small light show. I foolishly dropped one of the only two 23s I have today. it took a good bashing but because it was made like a tank I only broke the fork. I love these old lights and yes I could bend a piece of bar to replace the fork but I would love to keep it original. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank You. Terry Lee

Sorry I can't help you in your search, in fairness to Terry, 'Fork' is the term as used by Strand for what we would now describe as a mounting yoke. there are a few lanterns on Ebay at the moment that you may pick up cheaply that would also act as a spares donor in the future, or a patt123 fresnel has the same yoke/fork.

Some of the Patt.23's that we have in use at the school are later models that have a flat bar yoke anyway.

there are a few lanterns on Ebay at the moment that you may pick up cheaply that would also act as a spares donor in the future

They go for quite a lot because they get stripped, polished, have a d0m3st1c lamp holder fitted, stuck on a tripod and flogged for several hundred quid (I've seen a polished P123 on a wooden tripod on offer at 750 quid). Most of the lanterns I've seen go for between 80 and 120 quid, even really scabby ones with chipped lenses seem to make 70 quid easily.

Sorry I can't help you in your search, in fairness to Terry, 'Fork' is the term as used by Strand for what we would now describe as a mounting yoke.

I didn't realise what the OP was talking about, I thought maybe the 'fork' was a fiddly bit of lamp holder or something. ;)

I can't help either, but have a suggestion:

Perhaps someone here could recommend somebody who could fabricate a new yoke for a Patt 23?

Given the right dimensions it could be a simple strip of steel with three holes and two bends couldn't it? (Hence, relatively cheap to get made if there's anyone out there who'd be interested in such a small job.)

" I could bend a piece of bar to replace the fork but I would love to keep it original" would suggest a homemade answer not wanted

The Patt 23s I have seen have a sort of cast yoke. And, yes, on eBay they go for ridiculous money. Just occasionally people sell spares, but I have not seen any recently.

Nigel

If you keep you eyes open on ebay you can occasionally see the rarer Patt 23N version which is less appealing to the converter and therefore can be a bit cheaper, I've seen them go for nearer the £10 mark if I remember correctly.

<snip>

(I've seen a polished P123 on a wooden tripod on offer at 750 quid). Most of the lanterns I've seen go for between 80 and 120 quid, even really scabby ones with chipped lenses seem to make 70 quid easily.

Wow, and to think, only a few years ago White Light were giving them away in return for the price of the new lamp inside...

I used to come across quite a few schools and amateur groups that had old 23/123s sitting around. Trying emailing the folks at Lancing Repertory Players - they used to have bits and pieces floating around and might help you out.

• 2 months later...

Hello all I'm new here so please be gentle. I have googled around trying to get a part for my Old Strand 23 lantern. I'm a solo singer and have a small light show. I foolishly dropped one of the only two 23s I have today. it took a good bashing but because it was made like a tank I only broke the fork. I love these old lights and yes I could bend a piece of bar to replace the fork but I would love to keep it original. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank You. Terry Lee

Here you go ...

Archived