Guildhall Audition/Interview

Fingers

Hi All

I am currently a upper sixth year student who is applying for university entry september 2012 for sound engineering courses. I have several offers under my belt currently and I have an audition/ interview at Guildhall in February.

For my other interviews there was a great deal of information available for the audition but there is absolutely nothing for Guildhall, and as it's the one that I am most interested in, this bugs me somewhat. So I am appealing to the Blue Room community. Surely there is someone amongst us who has knowledge of the audition process or even has been one the audition day!

For clarity, I am looking for information into GSMD Technical Theatre (Theatre Technology Pathway) audition process.

With Thanks

Elliott

I haven't reached the stage of applying for Drama Schools yet, but I'd say your best bet is to just ring up their Admissions people, tell them you've got an interview coming up and ask if they can give you information on what to expect/prepare for. I'm sure they're not planning on springing a trap and surprising everyone into doing something unexpected, so they won't mind :P

Hey Elliott!

I have my Guildhall interview for the Theatre Technology Pathway in feb too!

Did you not get an email with the attached document? if not I'm sure I could send it to you!

The main part just says:

TimetableYou will be given a timetable of the day when you arrive and this will include:

• An Introduction to the School and the day
  • A tour of the School and Technical Theatre areas in particular
  • An Individual interview
  • A Group Practical exercise (Stage & Costume Management, and Theatre Technology Pathway candidates only)
  • A discussion about your portfolio with staff members (Design Realisation Pathway candidates only)
  • Watching all or part of a Matinee performance or Dress Rehearsal (all candidates)

Also, they said a lot of stuff at the open day..

it sounded like they just do the practical exercise to see how you are around other people..

See you there! :)

Hi,

I'm currently a second year at Guildhall so hopefully I can shed some light on the matter.

I believe the process has changed slightly from my interview day but the only thing I actually brought to my interview was a small folder of things I'd done in the past (Mainly photo's of lighting designs, programmes, rough lighting plans, any references). In comparison to other people that came on my interview day I felt pretty under prepared but a lot of the time its not about what you've done in the past its about the impression you make and the potential you have to offer and every person is different.

The most important thing to remember is to be honest and be confident about what you can and can't do. Also if you have any specific questions about the interview day contact drama administration (They're lovely and will be able to help with specific questions).

Hope that was of some help!

Hi

Having done the interview a few years back (and then done 3 years and graduated) and frequently been back to help with interviews since, I can tell you that none of the interview process is pass fail, so really don't get stressed about it.

The 'interview' part is an informal chat with various members of staff, about you, your past and what you want to so in the future. The practical exercise is very simple stuff, more to exmine team working/enthusiasm/problem solving than to assess your prior knowledge. They also normally make you watch a dress/matinee of the current production - both so you can see what GSMD do, and also they ask you to write a bit about what you saw - again, not pass/fail just to assess literacy and genuinely see what you think about what you've seen.

Guildhall's a great place and a great course, but remember the interview's just as much about you dieciding if you like them as vice versa, it's not for everyone. Enjoy.

• 5 weeks later...

Could I add a question to this? What is the dress code for the interviews for technical theatre?

I know the actors get to wear comfortable clothes because they're moving around but for technical theatre interviews is it a suit or jeans and a T shirt?

Stupid question I know but these things are important.

Thanks

An earlier post would indicate that certainly at Guildhall, and probably other schools as well, you're going to have to do a practical exercise - so a suit is probably a bad idea! I think I'd go for tidy jeans (dark jeans would be my suggestion as they do look smarter) and a collared shirt, and definitely closed toe shoes.

For the interview, I wore suit trousers and an open neck shirt. The practical exercise was not as 'practical' as first indicated and was more of a friendly chat. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to have been any more formal! (Not a stupid question at all as it was something I agonised over!) Gridgirl is right in that all the unis I had interviews at contained some form of practical exercise, some more practical than others!

Anyhow, it must have worked as I received an (almost) unconditional offer from them, earlier this week :)

Elliott

For the interview, I wore suit trousers and an open neck shirt. The practical exercise was not as 'practical' as first indicated and was more of a friendly chat. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to have been any more formal! (Not a stupid question at all as it was something I agonised over!) Gridgirl is right in that all the unis I had interviews at contained some form of practical exercise, some more practical than others!

Anyhow, it must have worked as I received an (almost) unconditional offer from them, earlier this week :)

Elliott

Cheers for replies...

And congrats Elliott hopefully I'll see you there

• 2 months later...

Congratulations Elliott!!

And thank you! I have spent the last year searching and searching for the school of my dreams. I found Guildhall in February and did a lot of research and I think it is the place for me, however, I only just convinced my mother to allow me to apply earlier this month. My interview date for the technical theatre programme is set for May 25th and I am so nervous!! They only have a small number of slots (I believe 36 total) and I applied so late! Not to mention that I live in the USA. Are my chances really slim?? To cut that wreck of a rant short- The replies to your post have answered some of my questions but I still have more. What if my portfolio is not good enough? I have diagrams, plots, cue sheets and all, but I did not start taking direct lighting pictures until about last spring. How many out of country students are accepted a year? Should I bring more reference letters than the ones I sent in?

from Guildhall itself:

The panel scores each applicant on a scale of "A" to "D" against a set of criteria which include in broad terms:

• Enthusiasm and commitment

• Communication skills

• Experience and practical skills

• Potential - whether our particular course suits the talents of the individual

We will offer places to applicants scoring an "A" in all four categories, and reserve places to applicants who score an "A" in at least two categories.

Archived