Chinese knock offs with HMI bulbs.

Bad_Rock

Does anybody know why the copies from China of fixtures like Martin and ROBE comes with an HMI lamp instead of the MSR? I know basically the difference of each lamp what is the final result? Is there going to be limmitations on the hmi lamp?

All the best.

Does anybody know why the copies from China of fixtures like Martin and ROBE comes with an HMI lamp instead of the MSR? I know basically the difference of each lamp what is the final result? Is there going to be limmitations on the hmi lamp?

All the best.

Most likely it is an economic decission!

MSR lamps are readily and cheaply available

HMI tend to be more expensive !

In the UK at least, double ended HMI lamps of the 575 and 1200w variety are quite a lot cheaper than their MSR equivalents, not more expensive. ( and I am comparing osram / philips, not xenpow or something nasty)

For my money, I have always preferred double ended lamps - in service, they tend to stay much more consistent in terms of colour temperature etc - anyone remember "green" mac 500's? yuk...

In the UK at least, double ended HMI lamps of the 575 and 1200w variety are quite a lot cheaper than their MSR equivalents, not more expensive. ( and I am comparing osram / philips, not xenpow or something nasty)

For my money, I have always preferred double ended lamps - in service, they tend to stay much more consistent in terms of colour temperature etc - anyone remember "green" mac 500's? yuk...

Hang on....

I always thoughts HMI/MSR etc were basically branding, ie same thing different name. Am I wrong? (Osram/Philips)

So if Chinese Fixtures Ltd supplies their fixtures with an HMI or MRS or the revolitionary XYZ 575...

HMI lamps are double ended. MSR are single ended and manufactured by Philips. Might be worth a nosey in here http://en.wikipedia....arc_iodide_lamp

From first paragraph of link:

The term HMI has become a genericized trademark for all similar high-quality metal-halide lamps made for film and entertainment, regardless of manufacturer.

Hence my point.

Whoops thatll teach me for trying to write a reply after no sleep. Ta for correcting me, you are indeed correct. What designation does the SE suffix hold? I assume Single End?

I believe so, also DE for double....

Watch out for DE-SA (short arc), got caught out recently...

Archived