Problems with LSC Maxim 24 channel

Humey

I use a LSC Maxim 24 channel desk on smaller lighting jobs where teachers/students require me to be in the space with them (as opposed to being in the lighting box). The desk has developed a problem in which the channels dim on the own accord. I have troubleshooted this and it seems to be a problem with the master fader for the yellow bank. Basically what happens is if I bring up a single channel to full it begins to fluctuate its output, varying any where between 100% and 10%. The fader itself is set to 100 but the output on the monitor and the fixture itself shows it changing. Any idea's what this could be?

You'll need to open it up. Have a look at where the legs are soldered on the PCB. If you search the web for 'dry joints' you'll find some examples.

If it's not a dry joint then it'll be either crud inside the pot causing poor contact or I have also seen slide pots which have been physically damaged.

Don't bother trying to clean the pot with any sort of switch cleaner unless it is designed for the specific job. It'll work for a short while and then will fail completely.

LSC have diagnostics built into their consolles including fader testing and flash button testing:

16.5 DIAGNOSTICS

The maXim provides diagnostics which allow you to;

?? Test the operation of all buttons, LEDS, faders, the EDIT wheel and the floppy disk.

?? Check internal battery voltage and charge condition.

?? Check memory capacity and usage.

DIAGNOSTICS MODE

To select diagnostics mode, press and hold [function] tap [ok] release [function]

Several unlabelled red bank [F/A] buttons flash to show they are active.

LED AND BUTTON TEST

Press red bank [F/A] (1).

All LEDs should be lit. If a LED is not lit, then there is a possible problem at this particular LED.

To test a button, press it and its LED will go off. This indicates a command from that button has

been received at the processor and it is operating correctly.

To exit, press and hold [function] tap [ok] release [function]

FADER TEST

Press red bank [F/A] (2).

To test a fader, press the [F/A] button for that fader then move the fader. Use the [<] button above

the Stack Master to select the IN fader and the [<] button above the Stack master to select the

OUT fader. The display reads from 0 to 255 as the fader is moved through its range.

To exit, press and hold [function] tap [ok] release [function]

This is a usefull function as you can see dirty or faulty faders and faders that do not go to zero.

Archived