Litedeck as podiums

Thomas1987

Hi all,

We used to use pieces of single 8x4 on 18" legs as "podiums" on the dancefloor for customers to dance on. This worked fine until it was realised that noone had risk assessed this. Its something I'd like to bring back, but before I go and work it out with our H&S chap, am I on a hiding to nothing? They work great, so would like to be able to bring them back but also not convinced we can put in adequate measures to make it safe.

They are standard lite deck with black matt paint, and white strips around all 4 edges. They would be used on a dark dancefloor, by people who have had a drink. Its probably not feasible to have access controlled by security staff. In the past there were no handrails, but contemplating that if I barried off 3 sides, and had 1 for entry/exit, that could reduce the number of people on them, but also create a crush hazard.

Anyone got any advice, or done this before... suspect there is no way of making it safe enough for my happiness but if there was any way, keen to try it.

I'm sure this can be done safely, I do lights in a MAJOR club in London where we have 3 such podiums on the dancefloor (though much bigger) from steeldeck and no white tape around the edges and they're out again every night so I'm sure there must be measures in place to permit that. H&S come in a lot and have never raised an objection.

I'm sure this can be done safely, I do lights in a MAJOR club in London where we have 3 such podiums on the dancefloor (though much bigger) from steeldeck and no white tape around the edges and they're out again every night so I'm sure there must be measures in place to permit that. H&S come in a lot and have never raised an objection.

Glad to hear that. I suppose my main issues are -

Height - as far as I'm concerned you can twist your knee by falling off litedeck flat on the floor, so 18" isn't much different. I have 12" legs which we could use instead if needs be.

Slips - These are being repainted currently, and contemplating putting some gripping material on these ones.

Overcrowding - either controlled by security or physical barriers but would prefer without them as they spoil the look. (not that that would make a difference if needed..)

Our H&S guy is great, but wanted to check if anyone else had done these before or if it was a complete no-no before going in to argue my cause!

Hello

we have put a number of these type of platforms in for many events the way we get around the problem of handrails is to keep the platforms below 400mm (which is when ExCeL insist on handrails) and we build a step all the way around the platform which in effect makes a tier you can go higher but you have to make a sort of wedding cake structure. We have used this at Alley Palley, The O2, and a number of Festivals with no H&S issues. Hope this helps

18" is a big step up? How do they get up, just do it? what I mean is that a step all the way around at half that height is effectively a tread, and if you painted it a lighter colour it would stand out - and then you'd have a wide, long step - the same as in shopping centres, and other very busy public areas - which don't seem to need rails. You'd have plenty of examples in your own area to cite - so a RA would be trouble free. I guess you'd have to make them/get them fabricated? could work though.

Burger and Paulears make sound points, 400 mm is normally acceptable and I would also think about individual units sliding along a smooth floor. Burgers wedding cake idea is one I have used before. I would also have a chat with Litedeck as they are friendly and informative. They may well have an RA set up for this usage so why re-invent the wheel?

It should be noted that they do not supply legs in inches and the accepted stage height of 380mm requires a two step access, according to their bumff.

I would also think about individual units sliding along a smooth floor.

I've been astonished in the past by how far a dancefloor moved on a carpetted floor as people danced on it. And this was just random punters shambling around drunkenly at a corporate party night, as opposed to something like line dancing where everyone is moving in formation.

If you haven't had any problems with movement in the past, you are probably OK. But it might be worth considering some of the cup fittings that could hold the legs and prevent movement. I suppose the issue then is whether you can screw them into the floor...

At the club I refer to, the top of our platforms is well over 400mm. We use 2-tier platforms, using an "O" of steeldeck at 300mm, and then a podium in the middle of that at 600mm.

I agree with you that an injury could be done falling off, I have always thought that. But I don't get involved. I've never seen anyone fall off it, even by the end of the night when the wooden surface has a slippery coat of alcopop all over it.

Another club I frequent in has an 8x8 podium in the middle, but that podium is surrounded by hand rails. To be honest that causes a danger in itself, where due to it's presence and perceived safety, people vastly over-fill the platform with punters pushed hard up against the barriers, with no way of getting off if they need to.

So don't assume that handrails are enough, your RA needs to take on board everything from the surface it's erected on to the activity taking place on it to the height of it to the colour of the deck; and you need to make a judgement on whether what you are doing is safe. Every situation will be unique so unfortunately you won't be able to get a stock answer off here, only ideas on how to make it safe or how to assess it fully.

While the Brainy one has brought up the subject of handrails, does everyone know that there are five different 'types' of handrail dependent on where on platforms and staging they are used?

Values range from 1 to 3 Kn/M and can be found in that there IStructE Guidance on Temporary Demountable Structures. http://shop.istructe.org/temporary-demountable-structures.html

There are two Litedeck handrail systems only the 'spoked' version of which is suitable for use with platforms having 'public access'. http://www.litestructures.co.uk/documents/LITEDECK.pdf

Gets more complex by the day this events business, don't it?

t that podium is surrounded by hand rails. To be honest that causes a danger in itself, where due to it's presence and perceived safety, people vastly over-fill the platform with punters pushed hard up against the barriers, with no way of getting off if they need to.

Plus there are doubtless punters who climb up on the handrails, try to crowd dive off the top of them, etc. etc.

t that podium is surrounded by hand rails. To be honest that causes a danger in itself, where due to it's presence and perceived safety, people vastly over-fill the platform with punters pushed hard up against the barriers, with no way of getting off if they need to.

Plus there are doubtless punters who climb up on the handrails, try to crowd dive off the top of them, etc. etc.

Not in this case, they overcame that by putting safety mesh on the inside of the railings:

http://www.scaffolding-direct.co.uk/product_images/Medium_889.jpg

(safety mesh)

Yeah, all the bigger clubs in London do I

People have to have some degree of being in control of themselves. You cant wrap everyone up in kid gloves all the time.

So long as the edges are taped white at least, and the height is no more than the requirement before saftey rails need to be added : then ur good to go.

So long as the edges are taped white at least, and the height is no more than the requirement before saftey rails need to be added : then ur good to go.

That's not quite right, don't get ahead of yourself.

What you mean is

"So long as you perform a thorough risk assessment, and suitably action on any risks highlighted in the RA, as well as actioning on any statuary regulations, codes of practice or guidelines laid down by the HSE or other authoritative bodies, then you're good to go".

Saying "Put white tape around the edges and keep the height down" is a stock answer - something which is impossible to give unless you have done your own inspection of the venue in question. The process they have to undergo in order to make this safe will be determined only when the OP has done a full assessment of what safety steps are required.

This could be handrails, this might not be handrails. This could be white tape, or orange fluro tape, or silver reflective tape, or no tape. This could be warning signs displayed in the venue about safe use of the platforms. This could be a member of security staff placed on the dancefloor to deal with issues arising on the platforms. This could be 'grip tape' placed on the platforms to improve grip when wet. This could be door staff on all the platforms regulating the behaviour exhibited on them. This could be a huge variety of safety precautions which nobody on this forum is in a position to give.

So the only advice we can give is the one in italics above, and it is up to you, the OP, to go into your venue, make an assessment of the situation, perhaps use a H&S consultant to assist you, and come up with a policy allowing safe use of the platforms, and provide any further safety assists you may need (such as the white tape).

Archived