Steel Deck Surface

andrew.p.r

Hi All,

Got some steel deck that has been well used and you can now tell by the finish on the surface.

We have been tasked with sanding down and refinishing, thinking about using Flints Theatre Black.

Any Opinions or other recommendations on this matter?

Thanks

Andrew

If you have to factor in the labour costs of sanding it may prove worthwhile just fitting a new wooden surface, or turning the existing one over.

Consider how much surface you plan to remove with the sanding and how that may impact on firstly the structural rating and secondly how well it will line up with any unsanded deck.

Consider how much surface you plan to remove with the sanding and how that may impact on firstly the structural rating and secondly how well it will line up with any unsanded deck.

Part of me thinks that sanding will actually remove layers of paint rather than structural timber...

As it happens, I was cutting a small trap in our Litedeck forestage this evening and as I guided the jigsaw at an angle to start the cut, I had a wry chuckle as the blade slowly revealed several layers of coloured paint, from the stone grey of last month to green of Robin Hood, the bright yellow (!) of Aladdin, and the moyyled paving of Pied Piper...

I also use the Flints Theatre Black paint for our staging and then seal them with a PVA and water mix (1 part PVA to 5 parts water). This just helps them last a bit longer and stops them showing the scratches as easily.

Rob

Just a small suggestion as I often see this and have only recently started doing something else.

We used to keep our Steeldeck painted nicely and try and fill dents on the top and what not, in the last year or so we've made no attempt to do so whatsoever. Instead, before each production we go down to Wickes and buy a load of thin ply sheets (the bigger the cheaper), only need by 3-4mm thick, and we just lay it all out on top of the assembled steeldeck, screw it to the deck, and paint it. Yes, the decks now look very ragged with screw holes in all over them and a roughed up paint job, but the resulting stage surface always looks great, and is very smooth and level making it much safer for the cast.

It doesn't actually cost very much, we were buying 8x4 sheets (ideal as the same size as steeldeck) for about £12 a piece I think. Obviously you can pass the cost on to the production anyway. But we've certainly found it outperforms painted deck-tops in every sense.

Archived