Allen & Heath

Boltonguy

It's only small fry I know but I currently run a behringer x1204 I to a pair or Qsc k12s (plus an rcf 905 sub for the bigger venues) I am basically a solo singer using professional backing tracks from my laptop (don't worry, they are all 320 kbps ha). Anyway someone told me that replacing the behringer with a zed10fx would dramatically increase the quality of the sound. Now as I'm only using backing tracks and a beta58 wireless mic and no live instruments. I didn't think that the sound quality would be greatly increased. Should I take this advice seriously? I sometimes think that the sound is a bit harsh with my current set up at higher volumes. Cheers guys and happy new year :-)

Has sound quality been an issue for you?

"Sound Quality" is different to "Noise". Are you hearing any hiss at all when you perform? Particularly when a channel is on and at the level you'd normally run the gain at, but without any audio actually being played? That kind of thing probably would get better with the Allen and Heath. It's just the noise of the mixer's circuitry, but if it hasn't been an issue then why change?

The environment you're in will also play a part. I run an Allen and Heath GL2400, and hiss/noise has never been an issue anywhere. Stick the thing in an anechoic chamber with some studio monitors connected to it, and you'd probably hear it!

What I'm saying is that a little bit of hiss that you can hear when you're in your living room at home, probably won't be heard in a pub, or even when the air conditioning is switched on.

So you've got to ask yourself, how bad is the problem and is it worth spending the cash you'll need to be spending to make it better (Better, not get rid of - the Allen and HEath will still have its' own noise, but I'd bet it'd be less)?

The Behringer kit isn't the highest end stuff available, but if it works for you then I'd not bother. That said, you have some quite nice speakers there, so the mixer is the weak point on the chain, the question is simply, how weak?

Yes that's the thing really. I have great speakers but they are mixed by a budget desk. Just really wanted to know if getting the zed10fx or even the Yamaha desk would improve sound. It's the higher volumes that seem muddy at the bottom end and harsh at the top end. For the sake of 200 quid I may just give the A&H a try. Just needed some expert opinion.

+1 for cidd's comments - I'm running an 18 channel peavey a lot of the time - the hiss is probably as bad or worse than an equivalent behringer - IF the room is empty you can perceive a hiss - once the band plays (in bars and pubs across the north west) it's simply not an issue - there is more noise coming from the bands amps etc. If there is a problem you can hear, think about fixing it - if you can't hear it, it's not really an issue. of course it goes without saying that if I had the money for a better desk, or needed to spend the money before end of tax year etc then I would happily take and A&H over my current set up. lots of Pros look down their nose at Behringer gear and yes it's not the rolls Royce end of the market but go out into club land and talk to bands who buy and use their own gear and use it day in, day out - plenty of them are perfectly content with Behringer desks, outboard gear and amps.

The sound quality would be noticeably and measurably better. The trouble is that, beyond saying that, the words "dramatically" and "slightly" are very subjective.

The A&H will certainly be quieter in terms of background noise, the mic pre-amps are warmer and less "brittle" sounding and, if you use the channel EQ at all, you'll find the A&H will give your more/better control.

Will it make as much difference as a change of microphone or speakers, nope. But you WILL hear some difference. Whether it's worth doing though is anyone's guess.

See if you can hire or borrow a 'better' desk for a gig or two and then listen to whether there is a difference for your material in your venues.

Or as you said, for £200 give it a go anyway and then you have a spare ready for emergencies.

I treated myself to one of these for Christmas. Have yet to put it through the big speakers but I'm sure there'll be some opinions somewhere about budget Soundcraft kit.

EDIT: I'm guessing here that you need no more than 4 XLR channels. And unfortunately I got the 10 as the 12 channel with built in fx is sold out, although a 12 with no fx is still available.

Archived