Architectural lighting for outdoor event

dmoorcroft

Hi all,

I'm doing some preliminary research into some architectural lighting in a large Grade 1 listed building for June 2012.

The event is a 1 night ball. I've been looking into the best way to light the walls of a building and have so far looked at the chromaflood range. In previous years, basic washes of the walls have been achieved by using MBIs but I'd welcome any suggestions as to avenues to explore for more intelligent fixtures.

Basic specs for fixtures:

• Must be outdoor rated
  • Must be wdmx
  • Ideally running on battery power for around 10 hours
  • Approximately 500m on walls to light (approx 12 m high)

Below is an image of the event in previous years to give a generally idea of whats been achieved before.

http://www.su.rhul.ac.uk/asset/News/6001/summerball-2.jpg?thumbnail_width=200&thumbnail_height=160&resize_type=Force

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Dave

Would something like the lightwave be any good.

http://www.gds.uk.co...oducts/liteware

That's a big building for the Lightware units, you'd need a lot of them.

For a bit more poke, SGM's Palco 5 are very good, they do have wireless DMX built in but they don't run on battery.

I've also lit a few buildings over Christmas with Robe Cityskape48 RGBW, they are teeny weeny things and quite cheap to hire, but not wireless DMX or battery - however you could use a few wireless DMX hubs and cable to nearby groups of fixtures. The Cityskape has a narrow beam and is really good for uplighting pillars and stuff - I did one job which used Studio Due Citycolours to wash the building face and then the Robe units to pick out pillars and architectural features, looked very pretty.

http://www.congoblue.co.uk/image/dscf3039.jpg

1325602808[/url]' post='422372']

Hi

city colors are great for architecture and water proof too I have several of these plus controllers for hire if you need them....PM me for details....Dave

1325602808[/url]' post='422372']

Hi

city colors are great for architecture and water proof too I have several of these plus controllers for hire if you need them....PM me for details....Dave

Your very limited by needing to rely on battery power only. There are some excellent battery powered up lighters available currently, not sure if they would cover the area or spread that you require though. Give DCLX a call since I know they hire them out all the time. Personally, I'd find some way of getting power and use a few City colour 250s

Hi all,

I'm doing some preliminary research into some architectural lighting in a large Grade 1 listed building for June 2012.

The event is a 1 night ball. I've been looking into the best way to light the walls of a building and have so far looked at the chromaflood range. In previous years, basic washes of the walls have been achieved by using MBIs but I'd welcome any suggestions as to avenues to explore for more intelligent fixtures.

Basic specs for fixtures:

• Must be outdoor rated
  • Must be wdmx
  • Ideally running on battery power for around 10 hours
  • Approximately 500m on walls to light (approx 12 m high)

Below is an image of the event in previous years to give a generally idea of whats been achieved before.

http://www.su.rhul.ac.uk/asset/News/6001/summerball-2.jpg?thumbnail_width=200&thumbnail_height=160&resize_type=Force

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Dave

Hi

The Studio Due and the City Colour is the best solution for your ..job, you can see below.......

http://www.studiodue.com/

You need only these, and one good light designer!!

Hi,

the GDS Liteware HO units are by far the brightest battery LED units on the market. They will also give you 10 hours of run time, as well as being WDMX, etc. Lighting a 12m wall wouldn't be a problem for them although if you want a solid block of colour to light the whole wall then a narrow -ish beam uplighter probably isn't the way to go.

If you want enormous colour changing punch (mains powered), look at a City Color 2500w. CMY colour flags with a 2;5k discharge source. If it needs to be lowered powered (from a mains draw point of view, look at a Robe CitySkape Xtreme.

If those sorts of fixtures are not what you are looking for and it has to be WDMX and battery then I'd opt for the GDS Liteware HO units, hands down. They tend to go out at about £30-40 per day (depending where you get them from). The compromise would be an 'uplighter' look as opposed to a solid 'slab' of colour, unless you hire loads, of course!

I have a load if thats of any use.

Hope this helps

Duncan @ DCLX

There's no question battery powered lighting could do it, but the thing is, you can hire a lot more mains powered kit for the same hire cost as a lesser amount of battery powered kit.

Battery stuff like Liteware is really useful for areas where lots of people are passing through as there are no wires to fall over. Uplighting pillars inside a church is a classic one. It is also much faster to rig/derig.

However to light the entire outside of a building as illustrated in the original post, unless you have a vast budget it would be much more economical to cable it and use mains powered equipment. In my opinion.

But Kevin, that illustrates the point perfectly, that the Core units have been used to uplight pillars, and the units which output more (and require a mains connection to service the increased draw) have done the large expanse and the long throw.

From my experience I'm somewhat sceptical that any battery powered LED units out there at the moment would satisfactorily wash a 12m facade, of relatively dark brick colour, especially not in the height of summer. It could be done, but echoing the other responses unless there is no way to get power to the units, what benefit is there of using a large number of expensive battery units over not so many, higher output (though admittedly at not so high a lumen/W figure, there is no doubting that the battery units have a low output verses large mains LED or discharge-source products), mains units, and hence a lower overall cost...

Archived