Smoke projection

andpuds

We're planning to mount a pea souper above the pros arch and have a cascade of dry ice, the plan is to project images onto the ice to form a ghost scene. Does anyone have experience fo this or know if it would in fact be workable?

We've tried this, but sadly without much success. Our pea souper was on the fly floor OP and the idea was to pump the dry ice through a length of plastic water pipe with holes drilled in it every so often. If I remember correctly, what actually happened was that we got shed-loads of fog on the fly floor and in the first few feet of the pipe, then not a great deal else! With hindsight, we reckoned that maybe one dry ice machine either end of the pipe would have worked better. Or perhaps one centred. Good luck, it'll be gorgeous if you can get it to work. :(

Depending on the size of the pros arch, I would imagine you would need huge quantities of dry ice and a suitably large machine capable of producing lots of dry ice in a very short time.

I don't know how dry ice behaves when falling from a large height though. It would be a great effect if you get it to work, let us know.

It's a few years since I tried something similar, it didn't work then and I doubt I'd get it to work now.

The problem was that any projection wants to be onto a smooth (tho' not necessarily flat) surface. Smoke, by it's very nature, tends to billow around a lot.

What I found was that it was impossible to get an image that everyone could see, sometimes you'd get part, maybe 10% of the image, that some seats could see some of the time. Other than that it was a spectacular failure.

I did wonder if it would work if you had access to a liquid nitrogen waterfall effect.

Brian

hi

as far as I know, it is a really cool, though supremely expensive, effect that pumps liquid Nitrogen over a heated lip of a pipe. the nitrogen 'boils' off really quickly while staying in the vapour phase for a while (I think).

this vapour is heavier than air and so falls down to the floor. the slow pumping of this on a straight pipe will result in a curtain of fog below the pipe.

the expense comes from the system needing liquid nitrogen and lots of it and the possibility of the pipe breaking due to the extreme cold of the nitrogen.

the only problem that I can see with this is the possibility of the vapour dissipating before it reaches the required height.

this explanation is only based on a short demo that I saw a while back and should not be taken as gospel truth - only a rough guide.

hope that helps a bit anyway.

andrew

Archived