Raspberry Pi

richard

Given the broad appeal of the device, I can't see it taking long for most if not all of the important linux packages to be recompiled to work.

While most of the packages on that might be able to work' date=' they'll need recompiling as a minimum[/quote']

For debian anyway, if its a linux base package, then it'll already have the precompiled arm version available I'd imagine. (gcc / x etc)

As for the other packages mentioned in that puredyne stick, there are a few which are already precompiled, so you can just apt-get install straight off:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/armel/supercollider/download (admittedly only in wheezy / sid at the moment)

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/armel/puredata/download

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/armel/icecast-server/download

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/armel/csound/download

Processing and fluxus are both FOSS so you can compile those even if they don't have their own prebuilt versions, so theres no reason that you couldn't just bash together your own build of puredyne.

Does OLA have a direct GPIO driver yet for DMX?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, I've been posting on the RasPI forum about my Chamsys dongle and such without considering this forum. Meh. Anyhoo, that's what I want to do. RasPI - DMX. Dead simple, 1 Universe, LEDs, no movers. I'll keep watching this forum as the raspberry one is full of nerds showing off about how they're going to mount their raspberry in an old ZX Spectrum.

So, I've been posting on the RasPI forum about my Chamsys dongle and such without considering this forum. Meh. Anyhoo, that's what I want to do. RasPI - DMX. Dead simple, 1 Universe, LEDs, no movers. I'll keep watching this forum as the raspberry one is full of nerds showing off about how they're going to mount their raspberry in an old ZX Spectrum.

Well, maybe 4 movers ;-)

Are you wanting to run MagicQ as the software?

The hardware is dead simple, but making it appear as a compatible "DMX dongle" is the tricky bit (in my head anyway).

Well, maybe 4 movers ;-)

Oh yeah. Maybe.

To quote an e-mail

Unfortunately at the moment we have no plans to compile a build for ARM

processors like the Raspberry Pi as it leaves the software open to being

hacked or copied to be run on other systems.

Regards,

Matt

Matt Lemon

Support Manager

ChamSys Ltd

Interesting, and a bit of a shame. I'm curious why they think ARM should be any more at risk of hacking and copying than it would be already on Intel or PowerPC? If they're giving the software for free already, I'm not quite clear on the copying risk either.

I guess that means keeping MagicQ on a normal PC for people then and OLA running an Artnet node for DMX.

To expand on it a bit more, we've made it no secret that the MQ60 and our next generation of products will be based around an ARM processor. There are several advantages to this but one of them is that by doing this, along with other security features we are adding, it makes it far more difficult for the hardware to be copied which means we can look to expand into markets where that kind of practice is more.. prevalent.. than the countries we trade in at the moment. If we were to make an ARM release public, that removes a lot of the work needed to copy our hardware and undermines other products that are in the development pipeline as people could just go and make them themselves!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks to the Chamsys guys who've replied here. I expect there'll be some DMX utilisation of the RasPI as time goes on anyway. It's perfect for it I and I don't believe for 1 minute that I'm the only person who's seen it's potential for this. I'm a noise boy anyway so I'm going back to noise to talk about microphones...

I've been having a discussion elsewhere about the Pi and someone pointed out that for the same $35 you can buy a PC motherboard which will do way more than a Pi.

You could get a low end motherboard, but that's useless without a processor and RAM, which will set you back at least another £50, if not more. And then you need a power supply, the whole thing's huge by comparison and certainly consumes more than 1W. And you won't easily get things like SPI or I2C or any other logic level serial bus out of a motherboard, so it's pretty rubbish for embedded applications.

I was thinking earlier about the Pi (during an especially boring and mind-sizzling maths lesson), and do you reckon it would be able to run something like Screen Monkey or any similar 'vision mixing' software? I was thinking that it would be pretty cool to be able to the HDMI out to go to a projector for example, and then somehow put in an additional/secondary monitor to control it from...especially as I was talking about the Pi with a friend a few weeks ago (he's a Linux and programming guru!) and he said that it will be able to output full 1080p without thinking twice! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Just thought I'd put the suggestion out there!

Archived