MAC 250 Krypton Pan error

MikeDennis

Hiya,

One of our 250 Kryptons has a "PAER". It can't seem to find where it is pan-wise and makes quite a loud grating sound when panning. A colleague said it was probably a dirty opto sensor but I've cleaned that thoroughly to no effect. When I'm adjusting the pan manually from the unit itself, on each increment it heads one way and looks as if it's being pulled back. There's no continuity with the direction it moves when I increase the pan value i.e. when going from 145 - 146 - 148 - 149 it won't move four clicks in one direction but instead appears to move randomly. Does this suggest the problem is electronic rather than mechanical? Anyone?

The red "P1" LED is flashing on the PCB also. Expect this is normal if there's a pan error?

Thanks for your reply. It goes through its normal powering up process then before coming to a rest, makes a loud constrained-whirring sound and immediately displays PAER.

Incidentally, how do I get the sensor out? Does it come out independently of the bit of PCB it's on?

You will need to take off the base cover, on one side you will find a brass bar, with a micro switch attached to it. This is all mounted on a small metal bracket, which is screwed to the base.

Over time, one or both of these screws comes loose, allowing the bar, and switch to slip loose, so that when the head pans, it never makes contact with the switch. The fix is simply a case of moving the bracket back up, and tightening the screws up. Once you have done this, if you spin the head slowly by hand, you should be able to hear the micro switch toggling.

Regards,

AndyJones

It is on the very bottom of the unit. From memory the bar (which is actually copper, not brass!) is on the power inlet side of the unit. It's in the center of the unit, directly underneath the cogged wheel attached to the yoke.

I have found you normally have to remove that side (one Phillips screw in each corner). unplug the power and data connections, and then take off one of the handle covers. and maybe unscrew the ballast to gain access.

Once you have done it once it is easy!

Regards,

Andy Jones

Excerpt from Martin Service:

"Martin Hints, Tips and FAQ's 23-5-1997

For the last several months, Martin Professional has been applying Loctite thread lock to all machine screws (this does not include self-tapping or sheet metal screws) to lessen the problems due to the loosening of screws under transport and with time. The thread lock must be reapplied if the screws are loosened or removed for service.

Two types of Loctite are in use, and are available from Martin Professional. Set screws securing wheels to motor shafts are secured with the lighter, green, Loctite 290 (P/N 37020002) in order to avoid gluing the wheel to the shaft. All other screws are treated with the heavier, blue, Loctite 243 (P/N 37021002). Both are available in 10 ml tubes.

To apply Loctite to the set screws, start the screw and turn it until it contacts the shaft. Back the screw one turn, apply a single drop of Loctite 290 (green) to the thread, and then tighten the screw as you normally would.

On other screws, apply a drop of Loctite 243 (blue) to 3 or 4 threads, or spread a thin stripe with a syringe, before starting the screw."

This applies to all movers. I use Loctite 243 Blue which comes in a red bottle.

Loctite Threadlocking User's Guide

OK, fairly sure it's not that copper bar complete with microswitch. All the screws I can see that connect that bit to the base are in there tight. So I'm left with a possible stepping motor failure. I'm not good with electronics. Service? Or is there anything else I can try?

Might also be worth swapping the pan and tilt circuits, don't let it run too long though, just enough to see if the motors move ok, if the pan circuit powers the tilt motors fine then you know that it is not circuit related and therefore will most probably be a stepper fault. If it can't then it's a circuit fault, could be a driver chip if sensors are ok.

If you move it while off does it grind or catch?

Good luck.

Archived