Allen & Heath budget digital mixer - coming soon!

Mixermend

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice. Anybody who's used iLive or seen the demo know:

a) Can you assign inputs to the 'output' fader group on the right? To have more than 16 inputs directly controllable on a page?

b) How do you soft-label the faders? On-screen keyboard? Is there anexternal keyboard connector?

a) Can you assign inputs to the 'output' fader group on the right? To have more than 16 inputs directly controllable on a page?

b) How do you soft-label the faders? On-screen keyboard? Is there anexternal keyboard connector?

Based, just on the videos and the brochure, it's pretty clear:

a) Yes. The faders are "freely assignable". So nothing to stop you having up to 20 input channels, albeit by sacrificing the master LR fader! I started off not liking having any dedicated output faders, but have come round now to the completely flexible layout, especially with the display-per-fader to help you know where you are.

b) On-screen keyboard. No connector as far as I can see for an external keyboard.

I'm really liking the look of this mixer, if only I had the budget at the moment.

Is it me, or is the exciting new world of small-medium scale new mixers ending up in three segments, with clear market/price points:

Behringer X-32 ~£2-3k depending on stagebox options, bargain bucket.

A&H GLD ~£7-10k depending on stagebox options, very flexible.

Midas Pro 2/2c £15-20k depending on 2/2c, hugely functional, maybe not so easy to run on as a newbie.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a quick look at a GLD at BVE last week - first one in the UK apparently. It's not finished yet; the scene functionality hasn't yet been implemented but otherwise it looks pretty close. It's less plasticy in the flesh than it looks in the photos; not as reassuringly solid as the Digico I looked at afterwards but still suitably chunky. The faders are the same as those in the iLive series; they fly pretty fast and feel nice & smooth. Operation does seem pretty intuitive - the touchscreen is nice and clear. Setting up channel layouts is very drag & drop so quick & easy. Each fader bank can be paged separately so you could have all your inputs on the left hand bank and flip through them without affecting you outputs on the right hand bank. (Any type of channel can be assigned to any faders though - no need to put outputs on the right hand side for example.)

EQ can be adjusted via the knobs or the touchscreen. Pushing the gain knobs down accesses the Q for that band.

It wasn't the right environment to make any judgements about the sound of it but I was assured that it's quite warm and analogue and not like Yamaha...

I couldn't get a definitive answer about using more than one surface for running separate FoH / monitors. It seems like the intention is to have an iLive FoH and be able to use a GLD for monitors via a CAT5 link to the iLive without needing to use any of the GLD stageboxes.

If I'd have known it would be there, I'd have taken a few more questions along to ask; it rather took me by surprise when I saw it there. The chap demonstrating it had only had it for a day before the show so was still getting to grips with the more in depth functions. I'll look forward to seeing a fully operational version.

My understanding is that to link 2x GLD consoles (FOH/MON for example) you use 2 of the ACE cards which link via 1x CAT5 cable. So if I were in that situation I'd put the main console for mons, and the slave for FOH. This way it's 1 CAT5 to FOH rather than 3...

Not sure how preamp sharing/gain works on this setup though. Also I believe it's the same cards to link to the I-Live system.

David

From what I'd imagine, it'd be akin to a twin iLive setup using an Ethersound<->Ethersound connection without control cable in between. So two separate control sets, preamp gain controlled by the local desk, and probably trims to manage the incoming audio network card gains. Perfectly feasible.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is ordered :) I just need A&H to hurry up and get production rolling 'til they get to my place in the back order queue!

Good Stuff!!

I will almost definately be ordering one very soon, just want a quick demo first.

Archived