Equity or BECTU?

mark_s

I'm currently strongly considering leaving permanent employment and becoming fully self-employed. Along with this decision, it would seem prudent to join a union of some form...the question is, which would be most beneficial? My work seems to be split 50:50 between design and technical work, although if I had to pigeonhole myself it would be as a designer - I have a much stronger interest in lighting design than production electrics. Although I suspect that I will find myself doing a lot more freelance technical work when fully self-employed, I'm not convinced either way which union is most suitable.

I like the idea of joining Equity as it makes a strong statement of 'I am a professional lighting designer' and seems most appropriate to the work I want to do...but it doesn't at all cover the other side of it. I'm also put off by BECTU's lack of interest in theatre compared to broadcast. They also both include PLI in the membership (ignoring any arguments about the suitability of BECTU's policy), but does the Equity one cover technical work or would it be entirely useless to me?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated too :)

First step - the ALD. As a previous Equity member, and a current BECTU member, I'd have to say BECTU seem the most active. Equity just aren't a player any longer. I had to twist arms to get my company to even attend the Equity meeting, and once there - they just couldn't sell themselves at all. Some existing members asked what the hundred quid a year was actually for - and ironically (and probably without meaning it) the rep said "it pays my wages".

The ALD, I seem to remember, even had a problem getting somebody to be the Equity rep, because - and this is just my impression of what I heard - very little ever happened.

Equity seems to be a little like the ABTT - a kind of club you belong to, but rarely actually attend!

As an old-fashioned leftie and strong unionist, I have never quite seen the need for a union to represent me to my employer as I am my employer.

Since becoming self-employed I have been an active member of both PSA and NOEA as both covered outdoor event production and I could have my views represented at government level by either/or both trade associations. But that is me and my choice.

If you work in live events production I would hazard a guess that most PSA member companies employing you would be reluctant to accept a "union-based" insurance policy. If you work exclusively in theatre then I would guess that those policies could well be acceptable. The decision is yours.

HOWEVER, as a word of warning, you need to discover for whom you will be working and what they require, getting all set up for one employer might well preclude others. Do the research and ask prospective or future employers what you need to provide them with in order to be contracted.

Hitching your mule to any specific organisational set-up before knowing it has wheels is naive.

Archived