Hi

Just looking at the Jands Vista specification, and noticed this:

Power

* Power Supply: Universal 100~264 VAC +/-10%, 47~63 Hz, 10A max

* Power Consumption: 400W max

* Inrush Current: 120A @ 230VAC 25C cold start

* Power Factor: >85% typical @ 115VAC

* Mains Connector: One (1) x IEC 3-pin socket

What is meant by Inrush current? 120A seems a lot...

Thanks,

David

inrush current=start up current,or the amount of power the unit will draw fwhen inialy turned on,however it dont last long,maybe a few 100 milliseconds

OK. That is what I had assumed, but 120A still seems like a lot going through an IEC connector...or perhaps I am missing the point.

What I am saying is that if it is connected to a 13A socket, is is not going to work??

David

inrush current=start up current,or the amount of power the unit will draw fwhen inialy turned on,however it dont last long,maybe a few 100 milliseconds

OK. That is what I had assumed, but 120A still seems like a lot going through an IEC connector...or perhaps I am missing the point.

What I am saying is that if it is connected to a 13A socket, is is not going to work??

David

No fuse, and few if any, circuit breakers would react in 100ms, that is only 1/2 an AC cycle. Even then 120A seems huge. How can they claim 10A and 400W in the same spec? Is the 400W the PSU output, or did some marketing drone write the spec rather than an engineer?

It should run of a 13A supply whether the 400W or 10A is correct.

DOH! Just reread the Hippy's reply and he said a few ms, the above still holds (mostly) true.

Hi Guys,

The spec was definitely written by an engineer and not a member of the marketing department, I don't know if the 120A is correct or a typo but I will get the hardware designer to have a look and clarify the answer.

Thanks for pointing it out,

Neil

Neil Vann

AC Lighting

All,

Have been asked to comment on this thread. Will try to keep it short:

The inrush figure of 120A is in fact wrong - the correct figure is 90A, not that it makes much difference to the original question. It is specified at worst case and in general:

- it is less than that, and

- it is finished in less than mains half cycle (half cycle = 10ms @ 50Hz).

Being so short it causes no problems with the connector.

A large inrush figure is pretty normal for switchmode power supplies of the size used in the Vista. The reason the rated current is specified at 10A is to allow for the inrush characteristic.

Hope this makes sense.

David

Archived