'New' Toy

smeggie

hi,

I am getting a new mobile 'phone <old one had a quick flying lesson from the rig (Rest In Pieces ;) ) :( > and I came across the Nokia 5100 - it seems to be perfect for this business --> Db meter( to be used as a guide only) , impact+water resistant casing and not too big.

has anyone had any good/bad experiences with this model?

thanks

andrew clunie

the 5100 is a good phone and as a nokia comes with the normal 1 year cover, if anything goes wrong take it to a service centre and they will fix it on the spot, or replace it.

im sure somone here has had a bad experiance with one but that would be true of any handset you would care to mention. I sold mobiles for 2 years and am in contact with a main distribuor warehouse and all the things I have heard so far about the 5100 are good.

my advice would be go for it but remember shock resistant is not gonna cover it falling from the grid, I would syjest a "body glove" cover as these are a solid caase tt its almost impossible for the phone to fall out of that afaches to your belf in the same way as your mag. otherwise you would always just do the lanyard thing.

oh and water resistant is not water proof, it means it wont get ruined by rain but dont try swimming with it, you would be surprised how many people try to use them under water.

hope this helps

Ben

Guest lightnix
...old one had a quick flying lesson from the rig...
Tsk tsk, lucky nobody was underneath it :(

thanks ben,

I think that I will find a 'body glove' - the impact resistance was only to be used for if it fell of of the desk or other low level.

I thought that the water resistance could be good for festival work this summer. - honestly, swimming with it!, who would have thought? ( actually, I know some people who would do that to see what happened :( )

lightnix; there was nobody under the phone as it flew, even though I gave all the usual 'heads' warnings - quite spectacular impact onto the stage though ;)

thanks again.

andrew

the best I saw when doing some repairs was a phone that had a light brown liquid in it that smelt remarkably like strong coffe the story came out in the end that they had been betting with a friend that they could dunk it in the coffe and not cut off the person on the other end... "well it said waterproof on the box"

or the one that put it in a plastic bag to use it under water...

people do the silliest things when it comes to their phones, having said that I did try one out in the stock room to see if it bounced like it said on the box, it did but bits of it bounced in different directions, oops :( but we just put it down as a broken demo ;)

all I will say is look after it and it will last forever (well a good 5 to 10 years) and take it out your pocket when you go swimming as plastic bags dont work.

I did try one out in the stock room to see if it bounced like it said on the box, it did but bits of it bounced in different directions, oops  ;) but we just put it down as a broken demo :D

Thats what the salesman did with my (brand new) 5210 - along the lines of "you can do this (drops phone over his shoulder) to it, and it still works", to which I replied "thats nice, now get me a new one out of the stock room".... admittedly the 5210 is very robust so if the 5100 is built along the same lines, you're onto a winner. Now if only I could unlock my 5210 to work with my new contract......hmm :(

thanks,

I think that I will get one next month (cash is always a pain! :( )

even though it may not be the best looking in the box, it seems to be the best suited for the job.

[al least when compared with the other 'hardwearing' models]

cheers.

andrew

hey,

I have just replaced mine with something a little more classy as I am moving up in the world ( a small rung on a long ladder)

I did find condensation to be a problem at the end of it's life though, however standing next to a sound engineer who had his fancy dB meter out and saying "101dB" to him and he saying "yeah" and then nearly dying when he saw what I was measuring with was worth all the jibes from the young 'uns about the Brick of a Phone I had

ste

:(

hi

cool, the dB feature could be fun, B)

how was condensation a problem?

it doesn't seem to be too much of a brick.

what is the upmarket model that you just got? - any nice toys on it?

cheers

andrew

Rugged it may be, but does nobody else think it's butt ugly?!  ;)

Oh my Lord it looks a cross between a telly remote and a Jelly!

I'm sure it will grow on people but I think Nokia's styling dept. has been smoking something odd again! :(

Sits down, waves walking stick and mumbles about modern technology!

hi

I was thinking more along the lines of the sound guy's jaw falling on the floor when told the levels

(officialy it will probably be used for dB measures for the noise regs though {one way to get the brass to pay a bit towards it} ). ;)

ok, so its butt ugly, but its new and not the same old, same old.

I have had enough of the 3310 series and other clones. B)

'bring on something new' we said, and they did.

it has all the toys needed so it could be good.

plus, who else will have one < purely because it is so strange - flippin' sheep! :( > when you try to find it?

I can heartily recommend the 7650, while we're on the subject of phones. Yes, tis huge, but its a PDA, a digital camera and a phone. (Lighting type, you see, so a camera appeals more than a dB meter....)

But: Bluetooth on the 7650 is rubbish. Use IRDA instead.

• 3 weeks later...

:o This is going to sound really "shirty" but here goes.............(off subject as well but hey)

I read the first post, then came across Lightnixs' reply about "hoping it didn't hit anyone"............. Just wondering how long it will be before some smarty pants comes along and says."oooooooooooerr madam... was the use of technicians mobiles phones covered in the RISK ASSESMENT" . if someone does... they need to be smacked around the chops!!!! :(

Archived