DVD/Blu-ray player with option to turn off on-screen display?

mark_m

The HHB UDP-89 would do the job nicely. I think they have just stopped making it, but suppliers should still have stock I would have thought.

I have one of these. Best DVD player ever...

balanced outs (for all 5.1 outputs), SDI, plays anything, good build quality, enough front panel controls that you dont need a stupid remote control...

highly recommended

I have discovered that the very low end Panasonic Blu-ray Players (The DMP-BD75 / 65 / 45) all allow you to turn off the OSD. At £70 from Richer Sounds for the DMP-BD75 it's a bit of a no brainer.

OK, it got me through two shows at the weekend BUT I discovered (luckily, in the dress rehearsal, not in the show) that this machine turns itself OFF after twenty minutes of inactivity. This is by design and is a power saving measure. Inactivity includes being in a pause state, or on a static menu waiting for a button to be pushed.... I had some frantic DVD reauthoring to do between dress and show, and am now going to retire this player for anything but domestic use!

Could be an interesting electronics project in there somewhere - IR receiver and IR LED hooked up to an arduino or similar, listens on the IR receiver for any commmands and if it doesn't hear anything for a set period of time it sends a keypress that won't break anything.

Tim

My Denon pro Dvd also goes to sleep after about 20 minutes in pause I also found this out 2 days ago in rehersal ... my advice is dont trust a player to be your holding slide...

Bollox. I just bought a couple of Denon DNV-310s.....

I just brought a domestic Panasonic Blueray player for an install and have been able to turn off the on screen display (at least for play and pause) and have left it on pause now for over an hour without it going inyo standby.

http://cpc.farnell.com/panasonic/dmpbd75/blu-ray-player-panasonic-dmpbd75/dp/AV21424

Not sure how it would cope with touring but the reason I got this model was the size fits nicely in a 1U rack tray.

Tim

I just brought a domestic Panasonic Blueray player for an install and have been able to turn off the on screen display (at least for play and pause) and have left it on pause now for over an hour without it going inyo standby.

http://cpc.farnell.c...bd75/dp/AV21424

Not sure how it would cope with touring but the reason I got this model was the size fits nicely in a 1U rack tray.

Tim

just bought this dvd on your recomendation, and its doing ok so far.... however, I did manage to find it at curries and argos for £69.99 inc the vat..... so a little saving.....

http://cpc.farnell.c...bd75/dp/AV21424

Tim

Yes, that's the very same model I bought from Richer Sounds for £70.00.

Let me try and explain better the problem I had with it...

The DVD I was playing through it played out to a projector throughout the length of the show.

The images were a mixture of still pictures and movies.

I authored the DVD using DVDStudio Pro.

All titles (stills and movies) were made as menus, with an invisible button that when I pressed "play" would advance the DVD to the next track.

This is a method I've been using for over 10 years now, and works fine. The idea behind it being that all the operator has to do is press the "play" button and that's the only button they have to press. They never have to "end" a cue, or skip to the next one in any way but pressing the play button.

However, on this Panasonic, if it reached a still-image menu, and had to wait more than 20 minutes on that menu, it would turn itself off.

I got 'round this by rendering the still image from my NLE timeline as a movie, which I set to loop. An awkward work-around that I've really never had to do before.

Hence my decision not to use it any longer.

But that's interesting what you report about pushing the "pause" button. That's useful to know. Thank you.

Cheers

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Longtime lurker, and first time poster here.

I am trying to source a DVD player (or even a Blu-ray player) that will enable me to turn off the onscreen display. So that, say, I'm running projections for a show, when I press the "play" button I don't get a little "play" icon appearing on the screen.

Any ideas? Model numbers current or old?

Many thanks

Mark

We use the Tascam DV-D01, OSD Off, no Sleep and "endless Pause", he plays lot more self burning DVDs than the Denon

Bye Simon

Archived