DVD/Blu-ray player with option to turn off on-screen display?

mark_m

Hello!

Longtime lurker, and first time poster here.

I am trying to source a DVD player (or even a Blu-ray player) that will enable me to turn off the onscreen display. So that, say, I'm running projections for a show, when I press the "play" button I don't get a little "play" icon appearing on the screen.

Any ideas? Model numbers current or old?

Many thanks

Mark

Thanks both! The DN-V210 seems to be out of stock everywhere, for a day or two anyhow.

The HHB UDP-89 looks very tasty indeed with its balanced audio outs, but is indeed discontinued and HHB UK tell me there's no stock in the channel, but there might be some in Germany...

Does anyone know if the Marantz DV4001 Pro lets you turn off the OSD?

Or of any other models?

Many thanks

Mark

The HHB UDP-89 looks very tasty indeed with its balanced audio outs,

you can get balanced 5.1 surround out of it with a suitable breakout cable too.

Edit to add: there is one on ebay at the moment, item number 230693163439 (I have no connection to the seller I hasten to add)

Im 99% certain that our Samsung BD -P1500 blue ray player has the option to turn of the osd. Its an old model now but still available. I spent an afternoon a couple of years agogoing through every model of dvd player we had which was well into double figures and the only ones they had the no osd option were the denon pro units and afformentioned Samsung bluray.

Hello,

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I am also looking for a player without OSD but would also need it to have no copy copy protection on the HDMI output.

Reason for this is we have been trying a Blackmagic ATEM mixer and the players I have tried won't output to it on HDMI due to HDCP.

Anyone know if any of the mentioned players don't have this? It is a shame that the players can't distinguish between commercial DVD's and those created for own use.

Thanks,

Tim

Im 99% certain that our Samsung BD -P1500 blue ray player has the option to turn of the osd.

I've found the manual for the BDP-1500 and 1580 and I can confirm that they let you turn off the OSD ("screen message", they call it in the manual), so thank you for that. It might be the way forward.

Hi Tim,

You won't manage to get round the HDCP issue on HDMI within the player itself. You will need to find an HDFury (amazon sell them). That will allow you to get the HDCP stripped off and maintain HD - however it will then convert the output to HD Component. Which won't go in to an ATEM. However there is probably a component to HDMI box from Blackmagic that will do that for you.

HDCP compliance is a REAL pain when working with HD.

Hi Tim,

You won't manage to get round the HDCP issue on HDMI within the player itself. You will need to find an HDFury (amazon sell them). That will allow you to get the HDCP stripped off and maintain HD - however it will then convert the output to HD Component. Which won't go in to an ATEM. However there is probably a component to HDMI box from Blackmagic that will do that for you.

HDCP compliance is a REAL pain when working with HD.

Thank you for the reply.

Looking around since posting, it seems like some players do differentiate between a commercial DVD and one that has been produced at home.

Given that I only want to play DVD's that I have produced that would be fine.

Can anyone confirm that this is right or wrong?

The two DVD players that I have tried will not output anything to the ATEM, not even the menu screen via the HDMI.

Thanks,

Tim

basically hdmi wont work if its not plugged into a recognised device, the standard is basically built around copy protection and you cant expect it to work reliably through not complient switchers. There isnt a copy protection hdmi in / out box comercially available for fairly obvious reasons irrespective of how usefull it might be. My advice is when switching is involved to allways use HD component, the qualitys there and no glitches. To use the Atem, you might need to look at converting component to either hdsdi or hdmi, both of which can ge done for a few hundred pounds spent with Kramer, Black Magic, Geffen etc.

OK Folks, getting back to the original topic :)

I have discovered that the very low end Panasonic Blu-ray Players (The DMP-BD75 / 65 / 45) all allow you to turn off the OSD. At £70 from Richer Sounds for the DMP-BD75 it's a bit of a no brainer. It's a domestic player and wouldn't survive a tour, but it'll do the job for the moment.

It seems an odd point in time for professional disc players. I've spoken to lots of people over the past 48 hours. HHB told me they sold hardly any of the UDP-89s and have no plans to replace it with a Blu-ray version. Marantz don't seem to be doing a pro Blu-ray or DVD player. Denon have discontinued their "pro" Blu-ray player, (though as the man from Denon said on the 'phone when I rang to enquire, it's hardly a "pro" product if you can't turn off the OSD.) and don't seem to have a replacement in the pipeline. Meanwhile, on the domestic front it seems like the only players you can get are Blu-ray except at the very very bottom range, where they sell for about £30.... I'm seeing more media-streamer type devices on the market, which'd be find for me if they'd play a VIDEO_TS folder just like a DVD player would, but AFAIK they don't.

Thanks all for your help.

Cheers

Mark

The best professional players blu-ray and dvd are pioneer but they do have flaws the V8000 dvd can have problems playing some home burnt discs but will stay on pause all day long then play when you want it to, but they are not cheap looking around £600.00 for both models.

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/page/products/pro-video/home.html

I have discovered that the very low end Panasonic Blu-ray Players (The DMP-BD75 / 65 / 45) all allow you to turn off the OSD. At £70 from Richer Sounds for the DMP-BD75 it's a bit of a no brainer.

OK, it got me through two shows at the weekend BUT I discovered (luckily, in the dress rehearsal, not in the show) that this machine turns itself OFF after twenty minutes of inactivity. This is by design and is a power saving measure. Inactivity includes being in a pause state, or on a static menu waiting for a button to be pushed.... I had some frantic DVD reauthoring to do between dress and show, and am now going to retire this player for anything but domestic use!

V8000 dvd can have problems playing some home burnt discs but will stay on pause all day long then play when you want it to, but they are not cheap looking around £600.00 for both models.

A real PITA. The V8000 won't play DVDs burned directly from the timeline in Vegas, which is the kind of thing you can expect to get from a production company / edit house when they're under the hammer i.e. almost always IME.

Some of the old Oppo players allowed you to disable the OSD (some didn't, I don't remember which models), allowed endless pause and could be made region free. These are what I used.

Nowadays I just play back from Mac/PC. Much more control and flexibility this way.

Archived