CCU-TX50 using the 25pin to inject comms into the chain?

grahamrobertslx

It's a fairly normal CCU - but you will need a 2 wire to four wire converter - theatre style comms use 2 wire-party line style operation, while TV kit has the audio in and out separate - on these CCUs, they're strictly speaking 8 wire - two separate cicuits to the camera, with two coming back so racks can talk to cameras, and hear the response, while the director will go to cameras on the other circuit. Cameras can, if they need to then also talk back to the director. I suppose you could simply make up an interface from the canford audio output to feed the circuit to the cams, but my experience of fiddling with the input is that it seems to upset the sidechain, and can even make them unstable, producing a nasty screech. The 4 wire converter just gives you an in and an out and level adjustment.

I've seen a mod done on the CCU- M5, so probably wont work on these units especially if you're on Triax. It used the twisted pair for the On Camera Microphone to send the comms to the camera, and then you'd connect the comms pack to the microphone input on the camera.

Probably the easiest route on this though would be hire/buy a two -> Four wire convertor.

Archived