Letting Others Use The Venue?

paulfurze

We lost our stage door person when he left, and wasn't replaced. The owner (a non-theatre person) had the impression that his job was making tea and watching the TV. The real parts of the job that are important and very valuable are invisible to the casual observer - but it's good to see stage door detailed as a vital part of the essential team - which is what they are!

Thanks to you all for adding to this thread.

We've on with setting up some training for some volunteers who are willing but have no or little knowledge.

And we've dropped the 'Competancy assessment' hat B-) as 'paulears' suggested, We're just asking for an informal chat etc etc.

We've also now developed a full set of T&C's (boy, dont you just hate all that legal speak). we initially wrote it in english and our company solictor changed it into proper legalese.

Thanks to those that sent me examples of their own, that really helped.

So we're almost good to go :)

Thanks again,

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

We lost our stage door person when he left, and wasn't replaced. The owner (a non-theatre person) had the impression that his job was making tea and watching the TV. The real parts of the job that are important and very valuable are invisible to the casual observer - but it's good to see stage door detailed as a vital part of the essential team - which is what they are!

+1 on this one Paul - Local Authority venue managers rarely realise the old guy who moans about everything and buggers off to the bookies on the fly during quiet periods is actually intrinsic to the running off the venue.

Until they sit down for a crap in the dark without checking for paper - then it's realised just how vital he was!!!

A good stage door keeper can either be the nicest start or worst start to a day especially turning up for a load in at 8am!

As a touring CM, a nice smile from the stage door keeper and a good morning how are you, starts it off nicely.

Some venues I tour to - quite regularily even remember who I am (maybe thats not a good thing) but always make me feel very welcome. Offer me the keys to office, wifi code on the sly etc etc. Makes you feel like you are very welcome in that venue - and then that carries on to the company.

And then there is the venue where you turn up - and get "hello" and thats it. ! And that happens a lot. your almost made to feel like your a disturbance in their very busy schedule, though admitting many stage door keepers are also now admin based and marketing assistants.

But yes - stage door is vital, a GOOD stage door keeper is irreplaceable. And I can name a few of them!

And of course - same goes to the technical departments and foh and and and etc. !

Archived