Broken MP3's

RoyS

Hi All,

I seem to have a large number of broken MP3's that won't play in all the usual players and am looking for a Windows repair utility.

I'm also interested to find out how they got broken???....

Thanks and BW to all...

Try MP3 Repacker

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32379

Else the tool here

http://www.drtag.de/en/downloads.htm

The first one is better.

Lots of programs corrupt mp3 and other file headers a lot, especially when they edit tags. Generally because those that wrote the software can't read or don't have access to the spec for how it should be done. Itunes is probably the worst one for this as it implements a non-standard way of adding tags to MP3's.

Itunes is probably the worst one for this as it implements a non-standard way of adding tags to MP3's.

Very true! Plus it hides your files and assigns random filenames if you are saving them to a portable device! I dislike iTunes for several reasons, these being two of the main ones. (As well as the fact it automatically syncs eveything when you connect an Apple device, deleting everything on the device if it's different or if the software database has got screwed up! Yes, I know it can be set to Manual Sync, but in my opinion, it should be on Manual Sync by default)

For ripping music from CD, use a basic program like Audiograbber, Nero, or Ashampoo Burning Studio Free, or even Windows Media Player (although there are other better ones). Some older computers (and players) struggle with VBR (Variable BitRate) files, so try to stick to constant bitrates. 128kbps is regarded as CD quality, and 256kbps is regarded as studio quality.

Once your MP3 has been made and "tagged" (Artist, Title, Album info, etc), you can set it as 'Read-Only' because nothing should need to modify it to play it.

128kbps is regarded as CD quality, and 256kbps is regarded as studio quality.

Only by those writing PR hype with no regard for the truth.

True "CD quality" is 16 bits x 44,100 samples per second x 2 (because it's stereo). This works out to a bit over 1.4 megabits per second, a far cry from 128 kilobits per second! MP3 as a compression algorithm plays all sorts of psychoacoustic tricks to hide all the data being thrown away--the first of which is to get rid of all frequencies over about 15kHz. That's hardly CD quality!

Frankly, with data storage being as cheap as it is, I can't understand why anyone bothers with MP3 at all except maybe when you have to email a rough mix to a client for approval or something. Since Edison's first cylinder recorders, every change to audio standards has been an attempt to improve quality. Suddenly, along comes MP3 and everyone forgets about quality and just tries to store lots of stuff instead.

End grumpy old git rant!

With data storage being so cheap now, rip to MP3 and save the file, then copy the file to your playback machine. That way you always have a copy if something corrupts a file. Then back up the backups. No-one yet knows what the archival life of digital media is.

Many thanks for all replies so far. Modifying the read-only status seems a logical way forward.

In our house we have a couple of file servers, one of which houses 20K worth of MP3's. These are accessed by various members of the household.. My kids have iTouch's and use iTunes software, which, from what ive seen is shoddy to say the least. Is there not a better application to connect to the Touch's?

Since Edison's first cylinder recorders, every change to audio standards has been an attempt to improve quality. Suddenly, along comes MP3 and everyone forgets about quality and just tries to store lots of stuff.

Totally agree. MP3s are the devils work...

Archived