is it safe/ whats the danger

crazyshaun

I recently visited a venue that had 18 LEDJ PAR56 LED Par Can lights on a stage rig, but what was differnt is they had removed the stander house plug and changed then for Single phased 3pin power plugs after asking what the voltage was running I was informed there where on 240V 16Amp power board, now it's my understanding the theses lights are normally on 3amp fuses is running the power like they have dangerous?

I recently visited a venue that had 18 LEDJ PAR56 LED Par Can lights on a stage rig, but what was differnt is they had removed the stander house plug and changed then for Single phased 3pin power plugs after asking what the voltage was running I was informed there where on 240V 16Amp power board, now it's my understanding the theses lights are normally on 3amp fuses is running the power like they have dangerous?

Assuming that by "single phase 3 pin power", you mean something like a 16A Ceeform (bearing in mind that my 13A chunky plug that I use at home is also a single phase 3 pin power connector....), then you'll find a lot of hire companies will have 16A connectors on them by default.

The advantage of doing this is that there is no longer a fuse in the plug, so you never have to change it. The disadvantage is that any fault will trip the entire circuit - and you won't have a blown fuse in the plug to tell you which unit has failed, although there may also be a fuse in the fixture itself. I'm not sure why so many hire companies use these connectors as standard except that they are just that, a standard, so you only need to use one type of connecting and distro leads; also that these plugs are semi-waterproof, handy if you are rigging stuff outside - although it doesn't, of course, render the fixture itself waterproof.

We're trying to say that it's very rare to have square pin, 13A plugs on professional equipment used in the events, theatre and TV industry. If you hire kit for events or TV, then the 16A connector you picture is the standard. In theatres, dimmers tend to have 15A roundpin plugs and hard power for LEDs, moving heads and other no-dimmable sources is frequently 16A too.

So it is quite normal to see this kind of thing with 16A connectors fitted. We don't like fused plugs - because if they fail, how exactly would you replace them up in the air?

We're trying to say that it's very rare to have square pin, 13A plugs on professional equipment used in the events, theatre and TV industry. If you hire kit for events or TV, then the 16A connector you picture is the standard. In theatres, dimmers tend to have 15A roundpin plugs and hard power for LEDs, moving heads and other no-dimmable sources is frequently 16A too.

So it is quite normal to see this kind of thing with 16A connectors fitted. We don't like fused plugs - because if they fail, how exactly would you replace them up in the air?

ok I can understand that, but is there not and electrical danger changing the power from a 3amp fused to a 16amp '?

ok I can understand that, but is there not and electrical danger changing the power from a 3amp fused to a 16amp '?

No more danger that in whatever plug you have fitted.

It is how the circuit is fused/ protected that matters.

Cheers

Gerry

If you look at the manual, you will see that these lights have a 0.5A fuse fitted on the backplate, so the 3A fuse in the plug is redundant, just something else to go wrong. If you bought these in Europe, they would probably be fitted with non-fused plugs as standard.

Its pretty surprising to see a question like this. Seems to show a lack of knowledge of the theatre working practice and or basic electrial theory!Still thats what forums are for. It had the appearance of someone thinking of trying to be clever and pointing out the venue should not have put 16A ceeforms on as that will be dangerous. As a rule of thumb I put 15A on my LED kit having cut of the schuko european plus as fitted, as someone pointed out also not fused! Most of my work is theatrical and it is easy to get mains to them in odd places via the fixed wiring

The use of a 13 amp plug fitted with a 3 amp fuse, might in theory be slightly safer, but is most unlikely to matter in practice.

Remember that in many other countries the same or similar products will be used with unfused plugs inserted into sockets on 15/16/20 amp circuits, and no one worries about that.

For safe use on a 16 amp plug, the lights should be fitted with at least 0.75mm flex, most are.

In case of damage to the flex, the 16 amp or 20 amp MCB should trip before anything catches fire.

In case of an internal fault, then the internal fuse should blow.

Many old or vintage appliances are fitted with flex a lot smaller than 0.75mm, and are only safe with a 3 amp plug fuse, or on a 5 amp circuit.

Anything relatively modern (including any LED light) should be CE marked, and be safe to use throughout Europe. Most of Europe uses uses unfused plugs on 16 or 20 amp circuits.

In the case of very cheap imports the CE mark is of doubtfull use, and it might be advisable to ensure by inspection that the purported 0.75mm flex realy is of that size, and that an internal fuse is fitted, connected correctly, and of a sensible rating.

Ref #12, CS describes himself as in an under eighteen band.

So not too surprising that he is struggling a wee bit.

Suggest you have google for whys and wherefores on theatrical lanterns Shaun, together with the cables used and not forgetting reasons for fusing at a "central point".

BR has a fair sized data base sort of thing.

Archived