Coloured Gel...

tomo2607

Hi All,

I've Picked up on a few threads regarding Gel but nothing really answered my question hence this thread...

Again, as I've stated before... Im a noise boy not a lampy so my knowledge of lighting (including colour choice) is rather limited

A little background info...

We are having a 4 day run of beauty and the beast toward the end of December for the annual school show. We have a very basic lighting rig and lamp stock that includes 18 ways of dimming from 3 6way analogue dimmers. We control these via a demux and zero 88 jester 24/48. Generic fixtures include 6 acclaim zoom spots, 12 CCT minuette Fresnels and an old school flood bar. We are also hiring in 2 follow spots and either 9 LED pars or 6 LED wash batons. My intention is to use the LED's as general wash light and the 6 profiles as specials and / or gobo brake up... I then intend to use the fresnels to focus on the surrounding set and for front light.

My questions is regards to colour for the fresnels. I'm planning on rigging them to allow for 3 colour groups (warm, cool, OW / Lav) But I'm not sure what gel to use...

My initial thoughts are...

071 for the night blue / Cool

021 for the warm

136 for a lav front wash

and then a frost

Currently we have a random selection of thick faded gels that I think came from a Maplins DJ pack via the last technician. But these are mainly really bright reds, greens and blues...

If anyone could suggest other possible colours or confirm or deny the suitability of my current suggestions then id be very grateful. Obviously the LED's will provide most of the wash lighting but I want something that will provide a nice front light and set light...

Again, sorry if this sounds a little naive... But making things look pretty isn't my normal area of expertise

I always use a bit of Lee 110 for face light as it is a light pinky colour that sits nicely on the face, especially when the actors are not wearing make up, as O/W lights tend to make them look quite flat and bleached out, especially when used from the front. Light from LED Pars I find tends to be too harsh for lighting actors, but for lighting set etc, its fine.

071 is really really really dark mate, practically Congo- if you're after a nice deep blue you might be better off with 079 or 119. However, if its a cool wash you're after along the lines of facelight, a 201/202 might be what you're after.

If you want a hand, drop me a message on Facebook and I'll come give you a chuck?

Ben

Gel colour is something that's very subjective... depends what you as the designer thinks looks right..

071 will be quite dark for a 'cool wash' but could work quite well in night scenes, personally I'd be more likely to use one of the steels for a cool wash, or try 079, but someone will come along and suggest another shortly..

021 is very warm, fine if that's what you're going for but not too great on skin tones, maybe 013 or even 017 :)

136 is a good lavender colour, also maybe worth considering 702 which makes a really nice side light..

Gel is very much each to their own, and it depends on the show. .. I've been known to use 156 as a warmish wash, much to the surprise of a few folk but it worked really well for that show.

Also watch what LED kit you use - if it fades decently and has nice colour mixing you should be fine, but some (most?) of the lower end budget kit is very steppy when dimming (particularly 0 to whatever it actually starts producing light at) and can ruin effective slow fades - I don't know the Jester, but one trick that I've used that works sometimes is to insert a point cue to delay the fade a fraction of a second so the incandescents have started to fade up before the LED kit, and likewise in on the way back down, take the LEDs out a fraction of a second sooner and the glow of the generics will help cover the snap :)

As always with lighting try to experiment, work with what you've got in the space and see what looks right, there's no fixed set of rules to follow :)

Thanks for that rossmck, thats a big help... ill look into the more subtle warm colours.

As for the LED's... we currently have a set of 4 LED pars of our own that fade and mix nicely. the DMX set up for them is RGB and intensity. Ive found by keeping the intensity at full in every cue and using the RGB as to create the fade works smoothly along side the other fixtures :)

Also, To add to the question... What would you recomend for a good frost?

Also, To add to the question... What would you recomend for a good frost?

What do you want it for?

Frost wastes a lot of light by scattering it everywhere - I would avoid except for some particular situations (taking the hotspot out of par cans, or making LED pars nicer to look at when viewed directly)

I only quite recently "discovered" frost for the FoH profiles to just soften the beam slightly. Gives a much nicer effect than slightly de-focusing the lantern. L257 was what I used - just focus the profile sharply then drop in the frost.

Cheers Shez...

Timsabre, As Shez has mentioned., I plan to use frost for the FoH profiels and for the two specials on stage to soften the effect. Also wanted to add some to the follow spot for some of the more intimate scenes.

I always found frost in FOH to work far better, when just adjusting the lens to soften the spot, its makes the stage look very very muddy!! adding R119 works really well and almost makes the FOH on the stage floor invisiable, i.e. mixes with the rest of the light far better!

EDIT:

Also, be carful which frost you use, adding a R119 FOH works well but depending on your special, what affect that is do you want to see the circle but soften it? it may just be better to slightly adjust the focus than adding frost, remember, the denser the frost, the more spill you will get.

I always prefer R132 in followspots,

The Lee filters swatchball is a great toy to play with when looking for colour.......

Think you've missed this bit!

..............Ive been looking on the Lee swatchball for idea's but its hard to tell via a pc screen <_<

I would keep away from L071! It's one of my favourite blues and I did use it in beauty and the Beast as a dark blue wash but I had 16 par 64s with it in and that was hardly visible! If your using 500w fresnels it will be like putting a sheet of black wrap over the lens!

Even L119 might be too dark.

I would be tempted to use L161 or something mid blue so you get more light but it still looks blue!

Pete

Archived