Cinderella Backcloths

Ynot

I've been looking for backcloths for our January panto, but struggling to find the last 2 I need that suit. Proscenium have 4 of the 6 I need, but the last two are proving tricky. Namely the palace ballroom and the Stoneybroke Mansion exterior.

I've searched/spoken to many of the usual suspects, including Border, Clifford & Brown, with no joy as yet. I have one company in Newport Wales who have a very nice ballroom, but it'll likely be a bit of a trog to fetch that, or expensive courier just for 1 cloth - but it is there as a backup. (Though of course that could be said for any second supplier!). He doesn't have a mansion cloth however.

A couple of places have a Hardup Hall, but as the name is on the cloth itself, that would mean changing the script, which they're not too keen to do.

So - suggestions please. Feel free to suggest a purveyor of cloths and I'll say whether I've tried them...

Or does your theatre/company own anything that might suit?

Cloth size is anything from 15 ft 6ins by 28 ft up to 18 ft by 35ft or so - we swipe track these, but by judicious use of Hall's Hold-on clips we manage to fold them with relative ease.

Contact Annabelle White at QDOS 01723 343702 That's the Scarborough number, but at this time of year she could be at the huge scenery store in Beverley - a bit more local would be

Scenic Projects Ltd

The Studios

London Road

Brampton

Suffolk NR34 8DQ

01502 575000

Just up the road from me in the 'Deliverance' area - cue duelling banjos. Their stock is also impressive, and they also have slightly smaller cloths too - I have some 11m wide but only 4m tall cloths from them at the moment.

Scenic Projects were on my list and don't have anything suitable available.

I think one of my guys did try QDOS, but again came away without success, plus they were I gather rather expensive. However I'll give them a shout myself to be sure.

Thanks.

You could try The Playhouse Harlow - I used to work there and did a panto Cinderella...the ballroom cloth from that production, as I remember, was a cut cloth with arches that we hung red tabs behind, but they certainly used to have a very large stock of cloths from different shows and may have something to suit. The technical manager is a guy called Pete Harpin - tell him you got his name from me! You can get him at peter.harpin@harlow.gov.uk or 01279 446 747.

Tony, have you tried Imagine yet?

Imagine Tehatre

They're at Small Heath - and whilst they produce a lot of panto's they might have spare cloths about.

I got a contact for them from Glyn, and a mail was sent earlier this week, though no response as yet...

Thanks.

You can get him at peter.harpin@harlow.gov.uk or 01279 446 747.

e-mail now sent, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived