What media player for conference video playback?

numberwrong

I have used VLC for most of my show playback, last week I had a video that was very short so didn't have time to switch back to ppt in time before the video ended (abruptly). My solution was to loop in VLC but this looks clunky.

Is there a way to end a video in black in VLC?

What software to people use for video play back? I'm not after anything super fancy just something suted to use on conferences with a few useful features. I dont mind paying for something but not too much http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Cheers.

I see three options routinely on small/medium sized conferences

1. Embed the VT in PowerPoint

2. Dump to tape and playback from there (DVCAM)

As a last resort: 3. Burn to DVD.

On higher budgets, there is also Playback Pro, and that is starting to filter down.

T

On this particular occasion I had a quicktime vt and a 100mb 15min mp4 vt.

when embedded the mp4 played a bit jerky and the .mov file isn't compatible in ppt.

I didn't have a video converter and no time to play around. Playing the VTs in VLC was the only thing that worked (except the end bit) I'm sure I'll be in this situation again soon hence the reason for me asking.

thanks for all suggestions so far

• 1 month later...

I've become a Mac guy in the last couple of years, tho I still have PC platforms given to me for use by the client at times. I can't remember if this works for the PC or not. I took the lead powerpoint slide and created a logo with it. Then I made that into a jpg and turned that into a background screen. When I took the PC into extended desktop mode, that image was on the extended screen. So, when the video dumped out, the background image, ergo the logo, is with showed on the screen. Then you just get your powerpoint up and running again.

It works much easier with a Mac. Anytime the video is done in PlaybackPro, which is what I usually use the most, it automatically dumps to the background logo that I've made my background for that screen. It works great and gives me time to switch to whatever other source I need to go to.

Having set up a few presentations for various places, I've found the PowerPoint works best if the embedded videos are in WMV format. It all depends on what quality you want...

I've tried GOM Media Player, but it doesn't seem to have half as many codecs loaded as VLC, with DiVX being one!

Just convert the video to WMV using Any Video Converter, available free from www.download.com, then embed that into PPT.

As long as you're running ppt in the extended desktop mode (with the presentation on the second screen, i.e. proj) then you can use the free version of quicktime to display the video full-screen on the second monitor - there's an option in quicktime's settings somewhere to set the full-screen output to screen 2. So when the time comes to play the video, click the mouse (the ppt will freeze with the current slide on the proj), bring up the quicktime window on your screen and hit ctrl+f (full-screen). The video will play on the projector, and will disappear once it's ended, switching seamlessly back to the ppt presentation (don't forget to click 'resume').

The audience will just see the powerpoint slide > video > back to powerpoint, and none of the gubbins of the computer or the quicktime transport. Couldn't be any better tbh.

Take a look at Pro Video Player (PVP)

It is mac based but very powerful, We use it on almost all our shows, It is like a mix of itunes meets instant replay for vision, It will play any video file your mac will play and also any image your mac will open.

Cheers

I have used VLC for most of my show playback, last week I had a video that was very short so didn't have time to switch back to ppt in time before the video ended (abruptly). My solution was to loop in VLC but this looks clunky.

Is there a way to end a video in black in VLC?

What software to people use for video play back? I'm not after anything super fancy just something suted to use on conferences with a few useful features. I dont mind paying for something but not too much http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd really like someone to write a Live Event type gui for CasparCG - this holds a lot of promise and is one of very few apps I know of that can support a proper Key+Fill output on the right hardware. It's a real shame that there is not a decent client GUI for events, if I had the programming skills I'd start to write one myself.

Archived