Weatherproof Speakon Sockets

simontaylor

Depending on exactly how weatherproof you need Neutrik already do an IP42 cover for their D sized mounts:

http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/speakon-chassis-connectors-accessories/scdx

Obviously this doesn't keep protection whilst mated though, but might do for light duty outdoor protection (if also recessed under a hatch etc) or may also be worth adding onto one of the boxes above.

Some sort of plastic box is probably the way to go, but if you're after something a bit neater, when I worked on a travelling theatre ship we had four speakons flush-mounted on the deck at various points for the FOH system.

We just used a standard panel-mount NL4 connector with Neutrik rubber gasket and rubber plug to stop the rain getting in when it wasn't in use.

It seemed to work pretty well (I did pull them out when I first arrived there and checked for damp/water) and they looked a lot tidier than a plastic box.

You could I suppose use the 13 amp box and wire you speaker cable into it. Just make sure it isn't ever going to be used in a mains situation.

Hold on there cowboy!

That sound a bit iffy to me. Someone will plug you nice speaker in to a mains plug. The plastic box or the rubber cover will work just fine.

I like neutrix they come up with all the ad ons, but you pay for what you get.

The challenge with the lidded box is that it's not going to be deep enough to be able to close the lid with the plug inserted, even using a right-angle speakon. That obviously compromises the waterproofness, compared with use with a 13 amp plug, but that might be an acceptable compromise.

I kind of like the simplicity of Cheeseweasel's gasket & plug approach, albeit with the same limited waterproofness.

Then again, I suspect that you would probably only want to be using the connector in dry situations.

However, if you need to be able to leave the connector in for long periods, and have it weatherproof for the duration, then you may need to go to a bigger box.

Thinking about it, I have used speakons in some pretty damp situations. The simple gasket and cover will protect the socket during periods of non use. During use, I bet it would have to be pretty dam wet to cause issues.

I bet it would be a couple of years before an open socket became unusable and nothing a quick wd40 squirt wouldn’t sort.

If there's not enough height for the plug and socket assembly, find a smaller project box that will take the depth of the socket and that fits inside the bigger box, mount the socket onto its covers, and then install the whole thing on its side. Then you open the cover and insert the Speakon plug sideways into the socket, bring the tail out through the guides and close the cover.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The socket will only be used in dry weather - it's part of an outdoor PA system for a school field. If it's raining, the PA won't get put out, so the lid not shutting whilst the Speakon is plugged in won't be much of an issue.

Archived