Van Hire Companies

Aaron-Hill07

Evening all,

I'm just currently doing a bit of research as there's a few times in the next 6 months etc I could do with having a van to use. Now, I know there are a hell of a lot of van hire companies out there.. but does anyone actually know of any that will hire them out to 18 year olds?

I drive vans a lot for various companies I work for so have a lot of experience driving LWB Sprinters etc as part of my job, used in exactly the same context as I would if I hired one. I have been driving for over a year and have a years no claims but obviously that's not going to help my case really...

So, does anyone know of any van companies that will hire to 18 year olds?

Been in the same boat as you many a time.

The simple answer to your question from my experience is no.

Ryder is probably your best bet to try but if the answer is yes (I think when I asked it was 21) there will be a hefty premium to pay.

The other option that some hirers will allow is for you to sort out your own insurance cover but again this isn't going to be cheap and needs to be checked with the hirer before you go down that route.

Sorry not what you want to hear I know.

Ian

Basically no-one hires to drivers under 21 some demand 25 and above, so really you have a problem. It does depend on your normal insurer whether they will insure you to drive a hired van some may please get written confirmation from your broker.

Be cautious with Ryder, they also do "truck Rental" which is without insurance, that way a company can add an extra vehicle to their fleet for a few days on the company's insurance. You should check that the vehicle that you hire is insured.

Sadly til you are 21 you may be better to employ a professional driver of a mid band age range - enough experienced!

Do be totally sure that you have the licence groups needed for the vehicle that you need to drive

So, does anyone know of any van companies that will hire to 18 year olds?

Been in that situation many times when I was your age... thankfully it's not a problem any more.

I found that smaller independent local hire companies were more likely to help than the big names, either by allowing me to arrange my own insurance or arranging it for me but with a hefty surcharge :(

Also you've presumably only been driving a year or so, do check that your license entitles you to drive the class of vehicle you want to and also bear in mind driving a van can be very different to a car (they handle differently, you've obviously got no rear window etc) and many don't have the safety features and driver aids you may be accustomed to if you have a modern car.

Not trying to put you off - but try and spend some time in one with someone who's experienced driving them, or better still get someone else to drive it this time.

It's not 18, so it may not be of use to the poster, but hertz now insure 'Students' from the age of 19 on a number of there cars and vans (van wise, its an astra van, transit connect or transit 280) subject to a £16 a day young driver surcharge, but with a £15% discount from the normal hire rates

http://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/specialoffers/index.jsp?targetPage=EU_Student_Car_Rental.jsp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ahhh, yes the pain. We got our insurance ramped up when we took over the business yes because it was young people who ran the business, even though our vehicles have always been insured for 17 y/o up.

You're only bet will be to find an older person or arrange your own temporary insurance through the people who insure your car.

Archived