Spring loaded castors

roryfm

Hi all,

I'm currently planning for an upcoming production with two trunk sized boxes as the main set elements, approx D. 50 cm x H. 50 cm x L. 120 cm. The construction of these aren't a problem however for ease of use in the show I'd like them on (hidden/recessed) wheels, but more importantly I need the boxes to not go anywhere when they're sat on.

Ideally I think the best way to do this would be with retractable/spring loaded castors (as found in rolling steps used in libraries and supermarkets) but I can't find the right search terms - the closest I can find are gate castors designed for garden or farm gates, which I think would be perfect if it weren't for the huge weight needed to compress them (the 'lightweight' ones can take a load of 35kg each before grounding out, multiply that by 4 and the answer is not great when your cast are somewhat slim teenagers!).

I realise I could just go with normal locking castors, but the aesthetic of the rest of the piece is clean, white, and sleek edged, so the image of cast members having to kick brakes on and off isn't appealing.

If anyone knows of anywhere I can source some 'extra' lightweight gate castors, or know if the right term for me to search for I'd much appreciate it!

I'll give flints a ring tomorrow in case they know what on earth I'm on about, but I'm sure someone must know what I'm after!

Cheers

roryfm

PS the ones at screwfix are the aforementioned lightweight ones...

The most obvious problem is that they're going to need to be specific to the weight - as the box will be a little heavier than a step. You may be best using standard fixed or swivel castors, recessing them and adding springs between the castor and the box - then you can use the appropriate spring?

The other problem is they could still roll around when people aren't set on them - they're only locked by weight.

How about adding ballast to the box so that the necessary weight to lock the castors is less? Depending on how active the cast are on the box, You probably only need two of the castors to be locking to stop it rolling around... the other two could be normal which makes the total weight to be added a lot less...?

How about adding ballast to the box so that the necessary weight to lock the castors is less? Depending on how active the cast are on the box, You probably only need two of the castors to be locking to stop it rolling around... the other two could be normal which makes the total weight to be added a lot less...?

How about only putting wheels at one end? And having it like a wheelbarrow. Still easy to move around but won't move when sat on and don't require anything special.

With the gate castors, if you mounted them inside the box, it should depend how high you mount them for the amount of force needed to compress to the ground? If you started with only mounting them 1cm below the box, would a person's weight be enough to compress it?

With the gate castors, if you mounted them inside the box, it should depend how high you mount them for the amount of force needed to compress to the ground? If you started with only mounting them 1cm below the box, would a person's weight be enough to compress it?

Ooh, I like the way you think Mr Howard, I think I'll order a set in and have a play - especially as if I get a set of 4 I can give the 2 normal/2 sprung combo a go as well... I knew the 'blue-room brain trust' would help me see the light...

Cheers

Ikea do some cheap desk type chairs which have these types of castors. I bought some for a show and the "children" amongst the cast were disappointed that they couldn't propel themselves across the stage on them.

Told them the castors only work when they are not sat on the chair.

Cheers

Gerry

Just an update - gate castors, automatic braking castors, load braking castors, brake-when-loaded castors, spring loaded castors, and sprung castors are all terms used to describe these - apparently no-one settled on what to call them - so if anyone else is looking in future that's what you need to google!

I've gone and ordered a set of 'brake-when-loaded' chair wheels (as Gerry suggested) as they're the cheapest option, so the least regrettable if it doesn't work. They're also the smallest (the ones with big springs are all 75mm diameter or greater) so leave the most space inside the boxes for props etc.

I'll report back when there's been progress, thanks to everyone for the all the tips

roryfm

Archived