Record Player effect

Zulu

I've recently been converted to "Multiplay" for running the sound tracks for my amateur theatre. What a great piece of free software !

I'm wanting to create the effect of the power failing on a record player, ie, the record being "played" will quickly slow down as the sound dies.

I'm thinking it might be possible by some how combining the Pitch control with the Fade control. Has anyone done this successfully ? Any other suggestions for this effect?

I want to avoid pre-recording the effect, as the moment is likely to be different each performance.

thanks, Zulu

What I've done in the past is prerecord the slowdown (acutally down with goldwave doppler effect) and have it as a sdeperate cue, so when needed, I just go from the normal track to the slowdown. No-one seems to notice its a different part of the track slowing down :)

The effect will depend on the record deck type too. Technics1210's will slowdown very gradually if the power is turned off as the platter looses it's momentum, where as hitting the stop button will have a very sudden stop to it, due to the platter being braked to a stop by the internal electronics.

Not that this probably matters, but it might be of interest and use...

Pete.

(Vinyl DJ when I get the chance)

For what it's worth, I've always done it as dbuckley suggests. I generally find that throwing in a needle click or jump effect at the head of the slowing effect covers any change in track position.

Not the same question, but I can also recommend IZOTOPE VINYL as a free plugin you can use to process tracks to give them an authentic "vinyl" sound, ranging from good quality to really messed up.

Adobe Audition 1.5 had a turntable stopping effect preset as part of one of the inbuilt effects. It is conspicuously missing from both the current mac and PC versions.

It was there and useful as recently as AA3.01. Alas, a lot of the good stuff didn't make it into the current version as the priority (set at corporate level) was Mac compatibility. This, coupled with an immovable release date (also set at corporate level) meant many things just weren't ready. In the Adobe forums, the developers say they are working to put this right in the NEXT release--though I don't know what bits will be there and which won't.

If the record player is seen on stage, and you can get the track on vinyl, you could also do it practically - just take the audio feed out of the deck and kill the power to it.

that depends entirely on the deck, and the electronics inside it though (without modification) kill the power, and you will find that one of three things happen, either it will act the way we are looking for here (ie no preamp/electronics in the deck) which is rare, it will just stop outputting any audio at all, or there will be enough power in the psu to keep audio for a second or two, but usually cuts before the platter stops.

I have done it, but it does involve modifying the deck to kill the power to the motor and nothing else, this may or may not be as easy as you think depending on the deck.

you would also need a preamp (or a deck with one built in) to get a line level signal out of it.

I have done it, but it does involve modifying the deck to kill the power to the motor and nothing else, this may or may not be as easy as you think depending on the deck.

I did realise that after I'd through about it - you'd probably have to modify the deck so the power to the motor was cut, rather than cutting the entire power. Should be manageable with most decks though, although it would require modification.

Archived